MAC & PC Notebooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Guy

I was at Apple's webpage looking at Macs & their hardware appeared like PC parts. Now please forgive me, that was my first time looking at a Mac's specifications so... yeah noobish I know :(.

Reason I'm into this is because my sister wants one for school, but after it's over she doesn't want it anymore. So what I was wondering is - is it possible to install a MAC OS onto a Notebook PC? And how well would it work? Also, what if we were to do it the other-way around & install a Windows OS on the Mac?

You cannot install MacOSX (legally) on anything other then a Mac so this will not be discussed here.

You can however install Windows XP (& maybe other versions) on a Mac in a perfectly legal manner with the Bootcamp software made available on the Apple website.

Oh alright - but how would it perform with the WinXP on the mac? I'm seeing gaming video cards in some expensive MacBooks.

N-Guy said:
Oh alright - but how would it perform with the WinXP on the mac? I'm seeing gaming video cards in some expensive MacBooks.

In boot camp windows xp is running just like it would on a pc. Since the new macs are intel based, they essentially have the same hardware as pc notebooks, but macs tend to have higher end hardware than the average pc. The downside to bootcamp is that it requires you to purchase windows xp(macs don't come with windows xp) and it also is beta software, meaning it expires when the next operating system (10.5 leopard) comes out next spring.

korrupt said:
Why can't she just use a "normal" laptop?

Regards,

Korrupt

Her entire school uses Macs or something. So she needs something like that compatible with the school.

vnf4ultra said:
In boot camp windows xp is running just like it would on a pc. Since the new macs are intel based, they essentially have the same hardware as pc notebooks, but macs tend to have higher end hardware than the average pc. The downside to bootcamp is that it requires you to purchase windows xp(macs don't come with windows xp) and it also is beta software, meaning it expires when the next operating system (10.5 leopard) comes out next spring.

Oh I see, thanks! Thanks everyone.

N-Guy said:
Her entire school uses Macs or something. So she needs something like that compatible with the school.
Not really... Although getting an Apple will help simplify her life in this scenario. :)

The new Apples are nice. They are too much money for what they are, but they are nice. So if you have the money, I think getting an Apple is just fine.

Rick said:
Not really... Although getting an Apple will help simplify her life in this scenario.
if they're teaching Mac specific applications, she better be instep :) There are file format converters that transform A<->B, but that
can be messy and takes up valuable student time, especially if there are several iterations :(

Hmm... is there a OS that's LIKE Mac? I've never used Unix, Linux, stuff like that but I was wondering if there is one so I can get her an ASUS Notebook & legally change the OS. Of course the files have to be compatible D;

N-Guy said:
Hmm... is there a OS that's LIKE Mac?
Macintosh has been unique from day-1 in many respects, both at the GUI and the internal programming. Today, the bottom layers of Mac OS X is FreeBSD (a Unix variant), but unless you really get into it, it is transparent (ie irrelevant) to most users.
I've never used Unix, Linux, stuff like that but I was wondering if there is one so I can get her an ASUS Notebook & legally change the OS. Of course the files have to be compatible D;
You might google for Cygwin, which allows Unix command line syntax and processing on a Windows platform. note command line!

re:ASUS Notebook; it will not boot a Mac OS X image. The Mac boot sequence
is also unique to the OS (there's a hidden partition used inplace of the MBR).

Make a choice; Windows or Mac OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back