TechSpot

Mac Pro GPU And HD Adjustments

By porsche911r
Feb 8, 2008
  1. hey guys im gonna get given a mac pro which is like 2 months old but can i use my 8800gt card and insert my own raptor hdd for vista?

i dunno if this is really possible any suggestions would be awsome at this point thanks.

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

3. porsche911r

porsche911r TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 37

didou thanks for the reply man ok if the hdds works thats cool ill check the gpu thing i think it shud work cos i want to use for vista anyway.

if i use the 8800gt and keep the 7300 which is in there cud i boot mac with the 7300 and vista with the 8800gt
    ????

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

If I'm not mistaken the Mac Pro has multiple PCI-e x16 slots so you can install multiple cards at the same time but why do you want to keep the 7300 ? The 8800GT can work well with Vista & MacOSX, why would you want to use only the 7300 on MacOSX ?

5. porsche911r

i dont want to use it i thought the 8800gt wnt work with osx thats why but ok if 8800gt works that wud be cool

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +622

hummm; Dual boot? maybe if you're careful

Vista is NTFS and Macs are AFS; not directly compatible.

I think you would have more fun by running the Mac as-is and creating a Lan connection to Vista (just imo)

7. porsche911r

jo i think ur right but i googled this gpu thing and there is a massive issue install a 8800gt into a mac pro so im gonna leave this for now i got a gaming pc anyway so nt that much bugged. thanks for the good idea though man for the lan thing.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.