MacBook Pro rumors point to thinner bodies with OLED mini screens and Touch ID

midian182

Staff member

Following Apple’s announcement last month that it would be updating its 12-inch Retina MacBook line, the company is now reportedly set to refresh its MacBook Pro range with a thinner and lighter design, as well as introducing some surprising new hardware features.

According to respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo at KGI Securities (via 9to5Mac), Apple plans to introduce 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro models in the fourth quarter that will see the physical function keys along the top of the keyboard replaced with a new “OLED display touch bar.” The laptops will also feature a new, smaller metal-injection molded hinge.

Additionally, Apple is said to be introducing its fingerprint scanning Touch ID feature – currently only available on iOS devices – to its new family of MacBook Pros. Not only would this remove the need to type in a password, but it could also have other uses, such as making online purchases with Apple Pay.

The new MacBook Pro line will take some design cues from the 12-inch MacBooks, and support the USB-C standard. But unlike those 12-inch laptops, the new Pros will come with Thunderbolt 3 support.

There are also reports that Apple will introduce a new 13-inch MacBook similar to the recently upgraded Retina models. According 9to5Mac, Apple “plans to make the MacBook Air the entry-level option, while the MacBook will become the mid-tier choice and the MacBook Pro will remain the high-end variant.”

Apple hasn’t updated its MacBook Pro range since 2012, so a refresh is long overdue. While the rumored updates do seem quite major, much of Kuo's Apple-related news has proved accurate in the past.

Permalink to story.

A very good machine nonetheless. I've been using happily my Macbook Pro 15" Retina (late 2013) ever since I bought it back then. Running both OSX and Windows on it without any problems.

My favorite part about this: the aluminum on these things seems nearly impossible to clean without messing up the finish.

It's actually very durable. I've been using a 2010 MBP daily for 5 years and the only wear on the aluminum is where my watch buckle rubs when typing. Everywhere else is like it just came out of the box.

Here's me looking selling my laptop now to get a MacBook... Worth waiting? I don't think so for an unknown reason.

Back