Machine Check Error BSOD

Auvic

Hi!

I haven't ever really had much trouble with BSODs before, so I'm pretty confused as to what to do with my desktop. As of this past Friday, I was using my desktop completely fine; no issues with anything at all. After moving over the weekend, I opened my tower up, cleaned the air filter and air dusted the interior, and then hooked up the computer and got pretty much nothing.

Sometimes I can boot the computer up, sometimes it fails before anything shows up on the screen. Sometimes I can get to the login screen, sometimes I can actually start some programs up.

I've noticed that if I start up a game - one I've never had trouble with in the past - it seems to load a bit slowly, and the refreshing of the graphics is noticeably obvious. I ran chkdsk /f /r, but it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem; I also got UBCD, but I don't know what exactly is wrong with my computer, or how to go about using UBCD to fix things.

The error messages I pull from Event Viewer and from this crashdump reader don't seem to agree, but ...but then again I don't even know what I should be looking for.

Help!

See if there are any minidumps produced by going to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files and right-click sending them to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload that folder as a file here

Will try. I'm out if the house right now but I'll grab them when I'm back.
On the advice of a friend, I've disconnected all peripherals besides mouse/keyboard and disconnected video card as well to see if there's anything obvious that triggers a crash. So far, with no HDD or the storage HDD plugged in, o haven't had a crash yet - so I want to tentatively say that it's not a problem with the mobo as a whole?

Unsure if this is a good use of time/effort.

On the other hand, after booting into UBCD the computer manages to crash out of that as well.

Two minidumps.
Also uploading a SS of the WhoCrashed analysis of the dumps, just in case things do/don't confirm each other, etc.

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    9.6 KB · Views: 1
  • WhoCrashed SS.png
    WhoCrashed SS.png
    199.7 KB · Views: 1
Secondary note: After manually checking all interior parts, I found my video card was unusually clogged with dust inside, and proceeded to remove it from the tower and air dust it separately. Unsure if this is a fix or just a red herring though - will update whether system crashes or no.

So far though computer seems quite a bit smoother already.

Okay the minidumps and WhoCrashed are inconclusive, so the dust on the video card and subsequent over-heating could very well be the cause of this trouble

Recent crash - without a log no less - suggests that it's more than just that dust. Just updated driver, left comp running while I step out to see if it'll crash whole I'm gone.

Provided that it crashes, suggestions?

Nope.

Update: ran computer without vid card plugged in; computer crashed all the same. Starting to run short on potential possibilities :(

I have a variety d card that's a pci-e slot, and theology presumably has a video card integrated. Just like how I don't question why I can hear sound without a dedicated sound card that I had to purchase separately.

It's a desktop I built myself, but I've had it running for almost a year without any problems, so if it were something like forgetting thermal paste for the CPU I'd imagine it would have acted up long ago.

FIXED:
After checking my internal temperatures, the problem seems to have been the CPU after all; two of my CPU cores were apparently running at 80-90C on boot/while running graphics-heavy programs.

Putting new thermal paste between the fan/CPU has since cleaned up ell the previous problems.

Thanks for the help!

Back