Machine Check Error BSOD

By Auvic
Aug 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi!

I haven't ever really had much trouble with BSODs before, so I'm pretty confused as to what to do with my desktop. As of this past Friday, I was using my desktop completely fine; no issues with anything at all. After moving over the weekend, I opened my tower up, cleaned the air filter and air dusted the interior, and then hooked up the computer and got pretty much nothing.

Sometimes I can boot the computer up, sometimes it fails before anything shows up on the screen. Sometimes I can get to the login screen, sometimes I can actually start some programs up.

I've noticed that if I start up a game - one I've never had trouble with in the past - it seems to load a bit slowly, and the refreshing of the graphics is noticeably obvious. I ran chkdsk /f /r, but it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem; I also got UBCD, but I don't know what exactly is wrong with my computer, or how to go about using UBCD to fix things.

The error messages I pull from Event Viewer and from this crashdump reader don't seem to agree, but ...but then again I don't even know what I should be looking for.

Help!
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,673   +152

See if there are any minidumps produced by going to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files and right-click sending them to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload that folder as a file here
  3. Auvic

Auvic TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 114

Will try. I'm out if the house right now but I'll grab them when I'm back.
    On the advice of a friend, I've disconnected all peripherals besides mouse/keyboard and disconnected video card as well to see if there's anything obvious that triggers a crash. So far, with no HDD or the storage HDD plugged in, o haven't had a crash yet - so I want to tentatively say that it's not a problem with the mobo as a whole?

Unsure if this is a good use of time/effort.

On the other hand, after booting into UBCD the computer manages to crash out of that as well.
  4. Auvic

Two minidumps.
    Also uploading a SS of the WhoCrashed analysis of the dumps, just in case things do/don't confirm each other, etc.

Attached Files:

5. Auvic

Secondary note: After manually checking all interior parts, I found my video card was unusually clogged with dust inside, and proceeded to remove it from the tower and air dust it separately. Unsure if this is a fix or just a red herring though - will update whether system crashes or no.

So far though computer seems quite a bit smoother already.
  6. Tmagic650

Okay the minidumps and WhoCrashed are inconclusive, so the dust on the video card and subsequent over-heating could very well be the cause of this trouble
  7. Auvic

Recent crash - without a log no less - suggests that it's more than just that dust. Just updated driver, left comp running while I step out to see if it'll crash whole I'm gone.

Provided that it crashes, suggestions?
  8. Tmagic650

Are you over-clocking?
  9. Auvic

Nope.

Update: ran computer without vid card plugged in; computer crashed all the same. Starting to run short on potential possibilities :(
  10. Tmagic650

How could you tell the computer crashed if the video card wasn't plugged in?
  11. Auvic

I have a variety d card that's a pci-e slot, and theology presumably has a video card integrated. Just like how I don't question why I can hear sound without a dedicated sound card that I had to purchase separately.

It's a desktop I built myself, but I've had it running for almost a year without any problems, so if it were something like forgetting thermal paste for the CPU I'd imagine it would have acted up long ago.

12. Auvic

Video card*
  13. Auvic

FIXED:
    After checking my internal temperatures, the problem seems to have been the CPU after all; two of my CPU cores were apparently running at 80-90C on boot/while running graphics-heavy programs.

Putting new thermal paste between the fan/CPU has since cleaned up ell the previous problems.

Thanks for the help!
  14. Tmagic650

Thanks for the update...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.