Mails lost in outlook express after changing the store folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatality

I'm using outlook express 5, last night i changed the store folder for outlook express. next time when i opened the outlook express all my mails and mail folders were gone, i even checked the folder that i used as the new store folder and all the datas were replaced by the default outlook files.

how can i retrieve my lost mails in the outlook express?

Hi

Outlook stores its folders as DBX files, the path to them is

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook, where xxxxxx is the name of the account.

Look there and see what folders are listed and the size, blank folders are usually 1k or 2k, folders with stuff in will be bigger, it may be a good idea to search other users outlook settings in case something went screwy with XP, a quick cut and paste of the folders into the right directory shoud resolve the issue.

However if you cant find any DBX files of the right size then there is a good chance that the mails are gone.

Regards

well all my files in the store folder had been deleted (i don't know how), so i used deleted file recovery tool to recover the *.dbx files in which the mails are stored. but now i cannot open these dbx files or import from them..... what do i do to open the mails now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back