TechSpot

Maingear Pulse 17 thin gaming laptop quick review

By Julio Franco
Feb 24, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. There was a time when the size of a gaming notebook didn't matter so much. Three or four years ago a portable gaming rig that was nearly two inches thick and weighed close to ten pounds was an impressive thing....

Read more

2. Its a re-branded model of the MSI GS70 LOL

3. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,457   +606

Quality gaming laptops that don't need to be 2'' thick have been out for years now. Anything with atleast a GT555M or 6770M can game quite well at 720p/900p.

4. Dukenukemx

Dukenukemx TS Member Posts: 71   +16

These ultra thin laptops are great if you can afford $2k to put into. But I'd rather get a cheaper laptop with a removable cpu, and then just buy the cpu seperatly. It's almost always cheaper that way. But these ultra thin laptops usually have the CPUs soldered to the motherboard. I just refuse to get laptops with soldered CPUs.

5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Really interested in the operating temps of this laptop.

ikesmasher likes this.
  6. theBest11778

theBest11778 TS Addict Posts: 234   +69

I want a $500 laptop with upgradable CPU and MXM 3.0b slot. Don't care much that comes in it, but anyone paying over $1000 for any computer now-a-days either needs it (work,) has money they don't need, or is just plain stupid. The only laptops I would even consider are the Alienware 18, or the Origin EON-SLX. Mainly because I see no reason to own a computer I can't put multiple GPUs in.

7. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

Well I bit the bullet back in early 2008 and got myself a XPS m1710, now I was in high school working part time so I got the bare essentials variant, 2ghz core 2 duo, 7900 gs, 1gb of ram (I know right), and a 60gb 7200rpm drive. The thing was smaller then my original inspiron XPS for sure, weight was not a huge Issue for me I don't find a 9lb laptop to be bothersome at all (I am a 6'5 300 lbs man though) and I always carry my laptops in backpacks so the travel wasn't a huge deal. Now I have been steadily gaming on that thing since 2008 and it even served a good stint of being a gaming server when I got a better desktop in 2009. But after 6 years and countless hours of gaming its still in amazing condition (I take pretty good care of my stuff but still) I have replaced the hinges, the video card (more for performance the 7900 still works) and upgrade the ram to 4gb and the HDD to a 750gb WD black, just ordered a new LCD back to replace my current scratched up one. It still works on most games (no BF3, BF4). The day a company has a gaming laptop built that well again the can be docked (yeah I use the dell D port dock on mine) I will buy it, till then I hope my little XPS keeps jugging along.