Major Boot Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1n9k00p4

Recently i installed SuSe over my WinXP instalation but when i tried to put WinXP back on the error "Error Loading Operating System" shows up. (Ive tried formatting and re-partitioning many times).

But i was told by someone in this forum that i needed to go to www.bootdisk.com and get a Win98 boot disk so i did and i ran FDISK, deleted the non DOS drive and then tried installing Win98 then upgrade to XP but after formatting my drive with Win98, when my machine reboots the error says "Missing Operating System"

Its as if the old Linux insto wont let my harddrive use winddows :mad:

Why does this happen? and how can i resolve it?

Cheers, Luke.

Get into a MS-DOS prompt and reformat your drive 3 or more times. Then try to install windows.

Format won't help you if you have problems with partitions.

How far did you get with the XP install?

i got as far as the restart after you put in the XP setup CD, after the restart it says error loading operating system, and when i try it with windows 98 it says Missing Operating system.

use your XP cd and boot from it. dont just format the existing partiton(s) delete them and create a new partition then format the new partition, then proceed with the XP install.

You have not set your computer to boot from CD or your Windows XP CD is not bootable (illegal copy).

iss, I think as hit on it
boot from the cd
make sure your bios boot priority is set to boot the cd first
delete the file system and make a new one
when you go and do this and still want to put the linux distro on.
make sure you partition drive at the format prompt you can change size of drive area that xp will go on.
these OS's don't like sharing the same space.

Fixed

Its cool guys i sorted it out i had to delete the boot sectors of my HDD the first 300mb and last 100mb. if any of you encur a simular problem with booting or bad sectors on your HDD i recomend u try this out:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

it has many different HDD tools and utilities that sorted my comp out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back