Major BSoDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My system had been getting progressively worse over the past 6 months. Eventaully any game, 2d or 3d, was causing corrupted graphics, causing the display to reset over and over until BSoD or reboot. Eventually it got so bad it started happening on ANY program or process, terminating the application or BSoDing. I RMA'd the vid card and got a replacement, no help. I ran memtest86 and got MAJOR errors on both chips. Just went and replaced the ram, and while now the system is mostly stable, and the new ram tests fine, my games all still crash. :confused: My fear is that whatever is causing the reboots may damage my new ram, if thats possible.

Some 1003 events from yesterday and today:

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 805061c8, parameter3 edd928d4, parameter4 00000000.

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 0f1dc289, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 804dc289.

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 804e604e, parameter3 f767ea10, parameter4 00000000.

Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 80042000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 80042000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

Minidumps attached

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

2 minidumps crash with memory corruption, and a bugcheck of 7F.

1 minidump crashes with hardware, and a bug check of 0A.

1 minidump crashes at ntoskrnl.exe. This is the Windows boot up kernel. It has a bugcheck of 8E.

1 minidump crashes at afd.sys. This is the Windows Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock. It has a bugcheck of 8E.

Try running your system with just one stick of ram

Make sure that your ram is compatible with your mobo.

Check your mobo for bulging, or leaking capacitors. See HERE for further info.

Check your temps, and make sure nothing is overclocked.

Check that your psu is powerfull enough for your system.

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hmm...

So all of these errors occured because of one specific game crashing...

Lets assume for the moment that: the RAM is good (because I just replaced it) and the PSU is good (because I've tried two different 500w supplies, should be more than enough power) and that the system is not overheating (the chip temp in the BIOS and the monitoring program never gets about 42 C, and nothing is overclocked, I'm sure), its not the video card (because I've tried two of the same model and one completely different), and its not the sound card (because I removed the card and tried running the system using onboard audio).

Aside from a damaged motherboard, what else might it be? What kind of diagnostic tools may help me? I am attaching a few more dumps from yesterday and today if you wouldnt mind looking them over.

1 minidump crashes with memory corruption, and a bugcheck of 7F.

2 minidumps crash at ntoskrnl.exe. This is the Windows boot up kernel. They have a bugcheck of 8E.

1 minidump crashes with hardware, and references your AVG antivrius programme. It has a bugcheck of 0A.

1 minidump crashes at afd.sys. This is the Windows Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock. It has a bugcheck of 8E.

If you`re absolutely sure the rest of your components are fine, the only things left are the L2 cache ram of the cpu, or the mobo.

My guess based on what you`ve said, would be the mobo. However the operative word is guess.

Regards Howard :)

Hi Sironyx,

Why do you think the ram is fine? One minidump is crashed with 1 bit memory corruption and it is the sign of faulty memory. For one bit memory corruption can be fixed by reseating the memory module to another memory slot.

CHKIMG_EXTENSION: !chkimg -lo 50 -d !nt
!chkimg -lo 50 -d !nt
805322d9 - nt!KiBugCheckDebugBreak+88

[ 40:00 ]
1 error : !nt (805322d9)

MODULE_NAME: memory_corruption
IMAGE_NAME: memory_corruption
FOLLOWUP_NAME: memory_corruption
DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0
MEMORY_CORRUPTOR: ONE_BIT
STACK_COMMAND: .trap ffffffffed77e2b8 ; kb
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_ONE_BIT