Major Crash!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cogenmaster

Just bought and received my new ATI Radeon 9800. Decided to format my computer when I installed to have a freah start at things. Format went smooth as did Windows reinstallation. Had windows totally updated all drivers current. Had the follow software installed: Norton System Works 2003, ZoneAlarm Pro, Office 2000 pro and 3dmark2003 and that was it. I had just changed my pagefile to 150 mb min and max, then set the memory usage to system cache. After the restart Windows did manage to boot but I kept getting all sorts of "write delay erros" on everything windows was trying to load at start-up. Went into the recovery consul and ran chcdsk /r then rebooted same thing happened as above. Went back to recovery consul and attemped to repair windows with the second repair option. This I was unable to do, Windows was unable to reconize my partition and insisted that I reformat my C: drive which I just did the night before. I think that about covers it all any advise as to what happened. Thanks

Windows XP Home
Soyo Dragon Plus VIA KT266A
Radeon 9800 pro CAT 3.6
Sound Blaster Audigy
D Links Network Card
512 mb ddr2100
Maxtor 40 gig

If I failed to give any information please ask.

PS I have been a reader of techspot for many years now. Guess I should have introduced myself earlier. My name is Eric I live in Ca and work in the power industry. I also service gas turbine engines. My puter is many used for gaming and net surfing. I am fairly knowledgable about computers but by no means an expert. Once again thanks for any advise

AMD 1700+
Radeon

There could be several things that might result in that error. Lets start with the simple. You said you installed all the latest updates. Did you install the latest VIA service pack for your mainboard chipset? Also, take a look in Add/Remove Programs to see if you installed Windows XP Hotfix 811493, and uninstall it. If this doesn't fix your problem then check all your hard drive cables are connected properly and reinstall windows again (upgrade to keep your current settings). If the problem persists, then your hardware may have developed a fault.

VIA Drivers

Yes I did that was the first set of drivers I installed. I read somewhere that AGP fast writes caused some sort of problems, this could not be a result of that could it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back