Major Freaking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I am new to this site and I hope I can recieve some help.

To start where my problem came from. Around March I bought the XFX 680i LT from XFX, Big mistake. I got a bundled deal with a Q6600 Quad core, and 2GB or Corsair DDR2 6400 ram from Tigerdirect. I assembled everything and it literally caught fire shorting out my PSU. so I was rma'd for a new one. Second one came in, didn't even F******* boot. 3rd one comes as I bought a new psu from Ultra to help on the next one. Well that one shorted out as the blue led light would fade in and out so I knew it was screwed. A lot of people have just gotten rid of this board.

Now my current problem. I recently replaced the 680i LT with the MSI P6N SLI Platinum and I have assembled everything. My mobo boots up all lights good to go, but my screen does not wake up. It says no VGA input. I called MSI and we swapped the ram, graphics cards around as usual but nothing happened. He suggested to me that it could be either my CPU or my Motherboard. I know for a fact it isn't my Graphics cards, monitor as I hooked it up to a test system and the monitor worked. I have concluded it could be my CPU or my motherboard, as I am thinking the electrical fire and short may have surged my CPU. I have even booted it without ram and nothing happens. Can anyone help me? It's after 30 days and I cant exchange my CPU for a new one and Intel's website is hella hard to work with on a Replacement. Oh I also remembered, MSI is famous for their LED trouble shooting. It was saying that if all 4 LED lights on the USB connector were red that the CPU was either not installed or damaged I hope that may bring some more light in.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

~JAy

MarineMan. You are in a pickle. First, the title doesn't help a thing. Anyone willing to help is not going to see Major Freaking Problem. Second, I have read your post three times now and I'm still not sure what the problem is and what troubleshooting methods you should perform.

I do sympathize. It's hard to help with troubleshooting and advice. And I know you're frustrated.

So the monitor and graphics card have been tested on a separate system and they are known to be working. Right?

PSU caused a fire so anything attached - mother, CPU probably could be fried. So you need help troubleshooting these two components?

If that's the case, I'm not qualified. BUT there ARE people here who are VERY qualified. Repost with something from the above paragraph. Explain your problem succinctly. Someone will help. OR do a search on the site, OR look at the forum for Guides and Solved Issues.

Very sorry you're having this problem. But hey. If you can't return mom or CPU, you have time to figure this out.

Cpu is usually the last thing to go out. Only way you can test it is plug it into a working system which is not easily accessible for ordinary people. Your on board graphic should be working if the mobo is good. So, I guess you will have to start with hooking your system on your bench with minimal component. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

The motherboard I have now didnt come with on board standard graphics. I do know that I was able to pull out the other card and hook it all up and run the video on a seperate motherboard. However that motherbaord is for an AMD and my new on is for an intel Socket 775 which are two different proccesors. I know my PSU isnt the problem as it is brand new and I have tested it on my tester, it is supplying plenty of power into it and seems to be running just fine. I have booted my system up with no ram. I dont think harddrives would have anything to do with this problem. One is brand new and one is from the original computer I bought two years ago. I have no beeps, which I guess leans torwards my motherboard, but no LED's are on to say that there is something wrong. Any suggestions?

Not very familiar with MSI board. Are you able to boot up in safe mode? If you can, install/update you graphic driver and let us know if it works.

mariman, the difference in the motherboards would have nothing to do with the graphics card, if it runs on one, it will run on the other. Set the board out on a piece of foam plug the Power supply in, the processor, the mem. (one stick at a time) and the video card see if u get anything that way. Bruce is right the processor is the last thing to think of, but there is nothing that can not be bad. Ultra PSU are not the best to use anyway, although I am definitely not saying that is the problem.

Nickc, I tried what you suggested in every detail, and nothing happened still the same thing. I even tried booting it up no ram no display. No components except the CPU,PSU, and the Ram, nothing happened. I don't know what to do anymore, I also noticed when I plugged in the PS2 keyboard it didn't light up, bad Motherboard?

marineman2031 said:
Oh I also remembered, MSI is famous for their LED trouble shooting. It was saying that if all 4 LED lights on the USB connector were red that the CPU was either not installed or damaged I hope that may bring some more light in.
So just to be clear, are all four LED lights red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back