Major Graphics Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomsD

I was using my computer when it suddenly turned off and left a blue dump screen on the screen. It said that there was a stop error because some driver caused and infinite loop and the file that caused it was "nv4_disp" restart the computer. So i did. It started up and in the very first screen where it says DELL and a loading bar it now has random letters and number all over the place going up and down the screen in columns. When it gets to the Win XP loading screen the colors are all messed up and then before it goes in to windows desktop it crashes .Then I loaded into safe(so the graphics card drivers arent in use) mode with networking which is what im in now the colours are slightly wrong and when i move my cursor around it leaves a trail of random colour behind it. And there was an error saying there was an error with your GeForce 4 Ti4600 128Mb with TV out graphics card.
I've tried a virus scan and I've tried using system restore but nothing fixes it. I've also tried uninstalling my graphics card downloading the new drivers from the dell website and installing them but that didn't help either.
New direct X And I've made sure the card is in the slot properly.

Please help!!:confused:

Welcome to TechSpot forums

Maybe AGP bus settings are incorrect fsomehow? I have no idea how a BSOD (or the driver) could change them though, but check from BIOS if you can. If that doesn't help, try with another graphics card. Sounds unlikely but maybe the whole card is damaged.

or maybe it's the PSU again...

I have the same exact problem; I don't know what’s wrong. The same symptoms happen to me as well on my Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64MB by Gainward. I have been using my old video card lately, which is a Voodoo 4 :(. With the voodoo card I have no problems whatsoever. It’s strange with the geforce, when I play a game for at least an hour my computer turns all kinds of colors and crashes and it hangs or reboots. After that happens I must shutdown because when I reboot the messed up colors are still there. Anyways maybe the card is damaged. Would an update to the video cards bios fix the issue?
About the apg settings, what should they be set on? I have tried agp 2x and on auto, it still crashes.

Any advice on how to fix this crap. Thanks in advance.

Almost sounds like overheating problems for at least one of you, and maybe try what Mictlantecuhtli said. How long have you had the card? Has it been doing it the whole time that you have had it? If so I would try a few things such as lowering AGP all the way to 1x and if that fixes the problem, systematically move it up to 2x, 4x, 8x, etc, until the problem comes back and then you know how high you can set it. You may need to lower AGP speeds in BIOS and Nvidias control panel.

Try that and see what happens :D

The card came installed with the system (DELL) and I've had it for several months now and never had a problem until now. The only thing that I've changed about the system is that it now has a and SB audigy2 sound card instead of a SB Live one but I did that about a month ago so I don't see why that would start to affect it now?

had the same problem

i had the same problem with graphics machine worked fine with win 98 upgraded to xp and machine graphics were bad system was locking and sometimes i couldnt even get xp to run even tried a clean install of xp.
well it wasnt my graphics card as i had origionally thought it was a paging fault on one bar of 256mb memory with my other bar in on its own the system worked fine bought a new bar of 500mb put it in still no problems so maybe you should check your memory as well if you have a graphics problem on booting

this also happens to me, im on a Ti4200, however very very rarely, and when it does i just reboot and everything is fine :)

Well I managed to fix the problem buy replacing my video card. I contacted DELL and told them the problem and they sent a replacement and it has worked with no problems since. Thanx for your help tho

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back