Major issue- anyt help would be great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I have read the articles on this site referencing the emachines. Unfortuantely I have 2 of them as well as another computer. The older emachine tower 400 worked fine- I just took it apart. The newer one hasnt worked since I got it. Someone gave it to me and I just assumed that someone fried something on it. I dont know how to check and see if components are working other than plugging them into another computer and its not like I have a huge work space. In any, I wanted to take the best parts from each of the 3 and put them into the Emachine T1140. For whatever reason I cannot get it to turn on. So I take out the power supply- not as many watts as some of you have but of the 3 I have it is the best. I put each of the other power supplies in and nothing happens except that with one it makes a noise for about 5 minutes. No led lights coming on, no other fans coming on, monitor wont come up because there is nothing feeding it. I have no idea what to do and I find it hard to believe that I just need to scrap all of these parts. It has been a few years since Ive stuck my hands inside a pc so I may be a little rusty, but when I put my other one back together it worked just fine. I appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks

MMmm.
Tricky.
Do you think maybe the powersupply isn strong enough?
Or maybe one of the components is faulty and keeps the Pc from booting up,
everything is seated properly right?

Did you test the Powersupplies with a multimeter?

I have never had to deal with the power supply before because I always bought bare bones kits. I had no idea there was such a wide range in watts. The highest I have is 250 watts. I didnt test it with a multimeter and Im not sure I have one, I have never needed one. The impression I am getting from the previous posts is that if the power supply goes bad generally the mother board does too or it is soon to follow. It is the best motherboard I have and so is the processor. The problem is that I dont really know how to troubleshoot hardware because i have never done this before. I am just trying to get a good computer cheap until I am willing to fork out whatever I want to get whatever I want.

Ok well how can I check to see if it is? Is there a way to do that. Im the type of person who doesnt give up easily but I juggled 3 systems last night for 4 hours and I got nowhere.

Well, 250 Watt is rather small, try to get a 300/350 Watt.
To test it, follow this guide.

halo71 is right, it can be your MOBO aswell.

Other Threads

Yes I did read some of the other threads. I did that before I even posted, probably hoping I was having a unique simple issue. Clearly it is not. The article about getting another brand of motherboard altogether is more than likely what I will have to do. Thank you so much for your help.

Strip down your components one by one, and if by the time you are left with nothing to strip; it's your motherboard :( .

cfitzarl said:
Strip down your components one by one, and if by the time you are left with nothing to strip; it's your motherboard :( .

Well I dont know if it would matter I cant get it to turn on at all. I have 2 power supplies that work so i know it isnt them and if I cant get them to turn the thing on I dont know if the parts will make a difference. Do you have to turn the computer on and off every time you do that, or can you leave it on?

The basic problem is when their el cheapo PSUs go bad, they tend to take out the mobo as well.

If you have replaced the PSU and it still doesn't work, then your mobo is probably dead. Once you replace the mobo you will need to reinstall everything from scratch- windows etc...

replace the PSU with a NON e-crap machines PSU.

The PSU is fine; he tested it in another computer. So no PSU's blew. It's just trying to see what the actual problem is.

Another strategy is to strip down to your Motherboard, CPU, Hard Drive, and Graphics Adapter, and then if those work, keep adding things until you spot what was causing the problem. Look for any black marks on your motherboard, or any smoke as well.

Stripping Theory

I did that previously. I have not concluded whether or not it was the power supply or the mother board since I was unable to ge it to turn on. I wistched the mother board and power supply out and it worked just fine. I appreciate your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back