Major, Major IRQ/Windows XP problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently my internet stopped working (I'm running cable modem). The lights on the box all blink accordingly, and my computer is showing signs that SOME connection is going through, for example, Internet Explorer finds the web sites but continues to wait for the reply, and my Aol instant messenger program goes past the Connecting step and stops on Verifying, this shows there is SOME connection. (I know this problem isn't based on internet lag). After checking everything and verifying it was normal, scanning for virus's, getting rid of any spyware, everything looked normal. Still nothing. I went in deeper and looked at my IRQ numbers, and for some reason, my Nvidia GeForce 3 TI is on the same IRQ # as my Ethernal controller, which I have a theory on is the reason why my internet is not functioning properly. Does anyone know a way I could change the IRQ settings on Windows XP? This problem is really a nuisance :p

You don't state "where" you went deeper in finding the problem. If you need to change an IRQ the easiest way is through Device Manager.

Windows XP uses a technology called ACPI, which allows IRQ sharing. Although it still happens, IRQ conflicts are mostly a thing of the past. So I don't think this is your problem.

Windows XP will not allow you to change IRQs.. As it assigns them automatically. You will need to change your ACPI layer to an older driver IF you are really having a conflict. I don't think you are though. I have about 5 devices all on the same IRQ (thanks to Windows XP), and while I don't like the idea, it works fine.

There have been a number of posts on this board about chaning IRQs in Windows XP. Search for "IRQ" and you'll probably find a lot things relevant to your question. I'd look for an answer dealing with something else other than IRQs first, though.

Putting a card into a different expansion slot will change it's resource settings. Try moving it from one side of the bus to the other. Also, Some BIOS's allow for a selection of resources for specific onbourd peripherals such as com and lpt, LAN, etc.

If you free up a number of resources in this way, due to the way plug and play works, you might find that your system resources are assigned in a way that you find to be more suitable.

At the risk of breaking from the pack.....I know you're leaning down the IRQ trail.....and you stated that you looked deeper into the problem, I've got a couple questions.

1. Are you going through a router?
2. What brand of cable modem?
3. Who is your ISP?
4. Have you checked for local issues? (DNS issues will act much the same way as what you stated above...especially with Charter lately).
5. Have you done a hard reset to your modem?

Sorry if I'm being a pain, but I like to see all areas explored.

Good luck. ;)

Can I ask what kind of Network card it is (3Com maybe - with a programmable ROM, and is it onboard?), and is it an older card? I had a similar issue with my last workstation, and the way I worked around it was:

Disable the NIC and uninstall ane remove the video card
Physically reinstall the video card in a different slot and install the software
Re-enable the NIC

I was never able to verify why it happened in the first place, but this worked in my case...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back