Major Problem with Toshiba M205

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am new to these forums as far as posting, but I have skimmed over them and I have not found any information for the problem I am about to show here... but forgive me if I am posting about something previously answered...
My Toshiba M205 I recieved as a prize from AOLs 'Technology' giveaway, I already have a laptop, but I am planning on using the Toshiba for back to school, (its decently old, however it is still pretty much up to par as far as everything goes) but, when I try to boot it up (from a crash, I noticed a rainbow effect and tearing of the screen before it) the text on the screen is all distorted and I can't read anything, it's not a different language... it's just like 'exE133843k' random letters and numbers to make up that screen where it says 'Start Windows Normally, Start Windows in Safe Mode' etc... But when I try to start windows normally, or even in safe mode, it starts to go, and I either get a blue screen, for a brief moment with some random text in it, or the screen turns black and doesnt do anything, I try to put the recovery disk in but I can only access it in safe mode, I called Toshiba and the guy said 'Uhhhh' ... and I took it to the geek squad and they had no idea what was going on, they asked me 'Is your lap top plugged in' ... I took it to the local repair shop, he reset my bios and installed a non tablet version of windows... which was bad because I couldn't do any laptop functions on it, so I reinstalled the tablet version, and I played some games and then I was surfing the internet and that is when the crash occured... it was working fine all the way through the games, it just randomly tears and crashes... I don't know what to do... it's a very nice laptop and I hate to see it just sitting around collecting dust, but I don't have the money to repair it again... any suggestions? Thank you. :)

Text mode corruption would suggest either bad video or bad RAM. Such a new machine shouldn't crash because of overheating..

Try the laptop with known good RAM (maybe have it done in a repair shop instead of spending money on something that may not work). If replacing the RAM doesn't help, then it is the video memory or controller that has died. Motherboard replacement would be the only solution here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back