Major Security Issue - XP Home Ed

By SquallRm
Aug 31, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've had a big problem two days ago that my pc wouldn't start and i had to recover it without losing my old files.. When i recovered everything, files were still there but their registry was lost! One of my main folders gives me an error message

"Folder not accesible -Access is Denied"

I am the Administrator and the only owner of the computer. And when i go to properties of the folder i do not see the Security tab. Another thing is that in Folder options i see no "Use Simple File Sharing"

please help, any time of advice is accepted.

-Squall
  2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Sounds like your account permissions are trashed. There are ways to prevent this, but I am not sure if there is anything that will fix it definitely.

BUT, here's what I might try:

Boot into safemode (tap F8 a split second before the Windows XP logo appears on boot) and login as Administrator.

Run System Restore and revert your PC back to a day before this happened. This will restore an old backup of your registry and MAYBE restore your account permissions.

If you were using Professional, I would doubt this would work. ;) But Home is a little more forgiving, so hope for the best.

If this doesn't work, then perhaps system repair will restore privelages to your Administrator account. You can try these instructions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/repair.txt
  3. SquallRm

SquallRm Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks, though i have not tried it, you've still been a lot of help
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Is this directory "System Volume Information" ? It has permissions set by default so that you can't view it even if you are an administrator.
  5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Re: Re: Major Security Issue - XP Home Ed

well spotted!
  6. SquallRm

SquallRm Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

No its not. Its just the standard data.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.