Major security problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhavilu2

I have dell laptop with XP and it would not accept my password; why would this happen and how can i solve it...My white paper for my summer finals is in there...plz help ....how can i be saved from getting F.....

cheers

bhavilu2 said:
I have dell laptop with XP and it would not accept my password; why would this happen and how can i solve it...My white paper for my summer finals is in there...plz help ....how can i be saved from getting F.....

cheers

You dont say if it as a Laptop password , IE one that stops you accessing the laptop in its entirety, or if its an OS based password ,IE one that is needed along with a username, if its an OS based one see here

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=309459#post309459

If its a password for the laptop see this thread

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic50281.html

Any more help post back.

Password problem

MY Dell XP pro laptop - my user account password when login screen comes up....asks for password but it won't take my password and prompt for password again and again.... how can i login under my name bhavilu2 and access needed files...pls help....

hope some one can shed light on my problem.... :)

cheers

boot into Safe Mode (the F8 key).

usually, this will get you into the ADMIN account.
once there, you can go to control->users
and reset the password.

IF you get into SAFE MODE and get the desktop w/o another login,
be sure to set a LOGIN password for the ADMIN account.

fyi, here's how I do it:

my limited account has a password eg: abc123menu

I set the admin password to some prefix-limited-passsword
eg 404-abc123menu

the prefix 404- is the sole difference between the account passwords

(ps: clearly these are all just examples ;) )

jobeard said:
boot into Safe Mode (the F8 key).

usually, this will get you into the ADMIN account

So booting into safe mode takes you straight into the Admin account does it ??? I think not, all it will do is take you to the log on screen in "safe mode", you will still need the admin password or that of another account with admin rights.

Think about it and try it on your own XP box, if you succeed tell us how.

Ididmyc600 said:
So booting into safe mode takes you straight into the Admin account does it ??? I think not, all it will do is take you to the log on screen in "safe mode", you will still need the admin password or that of another account with admin rights.
the system should do as you suggest, but
for a fact, if the admin account has no password (which sadly is the default),
then you get straight in; did it -done that-- and is which is why I said,
CHANGE IT!

jobeard said:
the system should do as you suggest, but
for a fact, if the admin account has no password (which sadly is the default),
then you get straight in; did it -done that-- and is which is why I said,
CHANGE IT!

So how many systems ship with no password on the admin account?

You say its the default, I question that, but I concede on the point, my post was based on experience on dells, packard bells and compaq's all of which ship with a passworded admin account.

Caveat Emptor!

I too was SHOCKED to find no password when I went to Safe Mode on my system.
It is an obvious flaw and so trivial to breach any system configured in this manner.

again CAVEAT EMPTOR!

jobeard said:
I too was SHOCKED to find no password when I went to Safe Mode on my system.
It is an obvious flaw and so trivial to breach any system configured in this manner.

again CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Is this a brand name system purchased from a retailer , or is it default when the OS is installed, all the time I have installed XP pro I am asked for an admin password, and like I said the systems I have repaired have always had a password set. ?

Ididmyc600 said:
all the time I have installed XP pro I am asked for an admin password, and like I said the systems I have repaired have always had a password set. ?
yes I would believe this would be correct and enforced.
If you don't have the problem, good for you. the object of the post was
advisory only.

just take all this as CAUSTIONARY ...
get your system secured, even SAFE MODE, and you will rest much better :)

specifically, the experience reported here was a new purchase with a preinstalled system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back