Major virus problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

thompsonp11

got a virus tonight...here are the symptoms: if i double-click an icon on the desktop it brings up the properties box instead of starting the program (have to right-click and say open). the keyboard has been disabled and, after the computer going to sleep, i cannot log into my Admin acct, I can only log onto the other user (the kids, with no rights). When I go to explorer it says that all files are hidden. when i moved a couple of anti-virus/anti-spyware icons on the kids desktop, they were copied instead of moved. Hijack This is not available from the 'all programs' button in the start icon, it says that the folder is 'empty'.

normally i would go through the 8-steps, but i can't get to everything and i can't even type anything. not sure where to go from here. ran malwarebytes, spy hunter, superantispyware, and AVG Anti-Virus and they all found nothing.

will just shut down for the night and take it up tomorrow. i'm on my laptop which is connected via a wireless router - nervous that something's going to turn up here too.

would appreciate any help that anyone can provide for work-arounds to get some usable logs from Hijack This for review. Thanks.

working on removal...

ok, here's where i am tonight. same symptoms already posted. i was able to change the hidden files setting, so i can see everything. still have no keyboard.

i did my best and followed the 8-point checklist and have attached the required logs. i did run into some errors while running hijack this and ccleaner. hijack this had a large error box that said..."for some reason your system denied write access to the Hosts file" it goes on and explains that "you need to edit the file yourself" and tells me to go to notepad to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, then tells me to find the correct hijack this reports and delete them and save the file as 'hosts' (with quotes). seemed a little fishy, so of course i did not do anything except upload the log file here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back