Majority of people surveyed don't want the Apple Watch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple watch apple survey

Apple’s smartwatch finally broke cover this past Tuesday following years of rumor and speculation. Leading up to the big reveal, many felt it would be the Cupertino-based company’s interpretation of the smartwatch that would help jumpstart an industry.

Whether or not that proves accurate remains to be seen but based on early indications, the Apple Watch may not be an immediate success.

A new survey conducted by Tolunda QuickSurveys found that while most of the 1,019 respondents said they were impressed by the device, 43 percent said they definitely would not purchase it while an additional 23 percent answered that they probably wouldn’t buy it.

apple watch apple survey

Only 10 percent of those polled said they were certain they’d buy the Apple Watch. Another 23 percent indicated they would probably buy it while 14 percent answered in the middle by saying they “might” make the purchase.

Surprisingly enough, the feature that got most people excited about the Apple Watch wasn’t its health tracking abilities but its size. Only 14 percent found the health features to be their favorite while 13 percent preferred the vast array of sizes and bands that Apple will ultimately offer early next year.

It’s also worth pointing out that 91 percent of respondents don’t currently own a smartwatch. Of the nine percent that do, more than half own a model produced by Samsung.

Do you think the Apple Watch will be as successful as the iPod, iPhone and iPad before it or has Apple lost its spark in the post-Jobs era?

Permalink to story.

The same charts would be nice for the new iPhones, because I think they would look very similar.

As usual, Apple-paid publishers are rushing to tell the world about over-sold pre-orders for the new iPhones that crashed the servers, where in reality it was caused by simple curiosity:

"You've gotta go see the kind of garbage Apple produced this time!!! It's unbelievable!!!"

Now, I love Apple products, most of the time, just not today... :)

P.S. What time is it, Apple? - Oh,... arh,...bollox! :)

N.B. Apple, stick with what you're good at...

black_and_red_apple_flip_flops-rbe4e327c308f46d783411a0fbf317d78_wgh34_8byvr_324.jpg

Last edited:
The same charts would be nice for the new iPhones, because I think they would look very similar.

Doubtful, iPhones will still sell like hot cupcakes. The smartwatch/wearable trend on the other hand still hasn't really caught on... and may never will.

The iwatch is pretty cool, it has its uses and the study also says that study's are extremely inaccurate so why is anyone believing this at all?

Oh, they doubt that they want it now. But when they see the commercials they'll flock like sheep.

When I first heard about an iPod I thought it was a horrible name, and a silly device. I was happy burning my own CD's. Now digital music on a handheld device is natural, and it's the primary way I listen to music.

They dont do anything that my smartphone doesn't do better and my "Guess" watch looks prettier in my wrist, so.....Nope

As usual, Apple-paid publishers are rushing to tell the world about over-sold pre-orders for the new iPhones that crashed the servers, where in reality it was caused by simple curiosity:

"You've gotta go see the kind of garbage Apple produced this time!!! It's unbelievable!!!"

Now, I love Apple products, most of the time, just not today... :)

P.S. What time is it, Apple? - Oh,... arh,...bollox! :)

N.B. Apple, stick with what you're good at...

black_and_red_apple_flip_flops-rbe4e327c308f46d783411a0fbf317d78_wgh34_8byvr_324.jpg

You love apple? Wonder what you would say if you hated Apple.

But I know lots of people who are pre-ordering the new iPhone so I think you are wrong. And its not garbage...Just not much different other than bigger and that's what a lot of Androiders have been waiting for. Be interesting to see how many convert to iPhone's now.

Hmmmz I know this is article is written with the idea that those numbers are weak.

But I think if you takes those numbers how they're meant as in those 1000 people represent the American consumer. I think Apple or any company in the world for that matter would be pretty damn pleased with themselves if they brought out a new product where a whopping 33%! of all consumers say they'll probably buy their product. Especially electronics...

Not surprising. I wouldn't get a smart watch from ANY company though so maybe it's more of a knock against smart watches as a whole.

I am pretty sure Apple will sell a boat load of those watches, but I don't see them as something non Apple fanboys will grab. Market analysts seem to agree with me, as do they about the iPhone 6. It is pretty much a copy (feature wise) off the 2012 Nexus. I kind of feel sorry for Apple, because people expect them to come out with something new and revolutionary each product cycle. Their products have better ease of use and overall quality compared to the competition, which is partly why I own them, but in terms of features, the Android phones killed them a long time ago. Unfortunately, for me, when I need to upgrade my iPhone 5, I will have to look elsewhere because the smaller iPhone 6 is just too big for my taste. I develop apps, so I have a lot of phones to choose from. I picked the 5 because it was the biggest I could comfortably fit in my pocket...and I preferred the contact management interface.

That actually is a HUGE positive number. There are over 1 billion people living in first world countries.

Looks like android fanboi in the first post is in state of panic. I always see him bash apple articles here.

Camikazi said:

That actually is a HUGE positive number. There are over 1 billion people living in first world countries.

They only surveyed 1019 people.

I do not know how many people they need to accurately represent total population but I would assume the methodology is more important than the number of people.

It's really not bad for a first kick at that can though we'll have to see the battery life. There's tons of room for improvement and I personally am not very fond of the look - the gold one looks like it was inspired by Daft Punk. But heck, just being able to see emails when I'm golfing just as they come in would be nice ;) O'course the Motorola will do that and I like the look better.

I like apple mobile products and used iphones and ipods for years. But the thing is, I haven't wore a watch or anything else on my wrist in years. If I ever do decide to wear a watch again it might interest me, but until then it doesn't matter how great a smart watch is if I don't want something on my wrist. And I have to figure there are a fair number of people in this same category.

Dude your link was awsome!!
I bet the bozos would fall for a iWindowsPhone, or better yet: a iNOKIA!!!!!!!!
LOOOL

thanks Railman!

I'm definetly in the wrong business, I should be selling iPEPSI or iRed Bull,
like: iRed Bull gives you iWings (totally awsome) I would be loaded with cash within 6 months

Kevin

Back