TechSpot

Make a surround sound system

By Acidwinter
Jun 20, 2006
  1. I just purchased an xfi plat sound card and right now I have a 2.1 system. I was wondering if there was a way to jimmy rig it and use 2 other speakers I have laying around to make it a 4.1?

2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

I don't think it should be a problem, other than the speakers won't "match," and will have separate volume controls. Many 2.1 systems only use the stereo(2 front) channels for the front speakers and the sub, where really the sub should be on it's proper channel.

3. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

the simple answer is no.

if your actual sound system (not your sound card) is 2.1 then you cannot make it into anything else. 4.1 means 4 independant audio channels and a subwoofer.

you could "jimmy rig" it to use 4 speakers instead of 2, but it would not be 4.1, it would just be 2.1 with 4 speakers (the front and back speakers would run on the same channels)

be aware that if you use 2 additonal speakers you will change the impedance which may burn out the amplifier and render your 2.1 system useless. also the amplifier in your system is probably not powerful enough to sufficiently power another 2 speakers you have lying around

hope this clears things up a bit :)

4. DragonMaster

DragonMaster TS Rookie Posts: 430

Yes, there are separate rear, side, front and sub/center outputs. Just connect your 2.1 to front and the two others to rear. Since there's no dedicated sub channel with 2.1 systems (Bass is just redirected from the stereo input), you'll have a 4 channel setup. (I think you can't even set a 4.1 system on the X-Fi, just 4.0.)

5. Acidwinter

Acidwinter TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 59

Thanks, it did. I was planning on getting a 7.1 set, but im low on the funds and have like a million crappy speakers laying around. Thanks for the input :)

6. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

as i understand it, he does not have an additional 2.1 speaker sound system that he could simply plug into the card, he has just plain speakers lying around (not amplifies or even hooked into anything). he was going to "jimmy rig" two additional speakers into the existing 2.1 system.

that is how I read it... was I wrong?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.