Make Windows ME work with 1gig+ ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, i just bought 2 512mb DDR400 PC3200 non ECC samsung ram chips. I installed them, and when windows didn't load, remembered windows doesn't support 1gig+ of ram. I heard there is a way around that. Is there? if so how can i do this?

Where did you get that information from? It is more likely that the RAM is faulty or isn't supported by your motherboard, or wasnt installed correctly.

You may have heard that Windows ME doesn't manage a GIG of RAM correctly but it does support it. At least I have never heard of such a thing as Windows ME not supporting a GIG of RAM. As long as your motherboard supports it you are fine.

I would recommend an upgrade to at least Windows 2000 which supposedly manages RAM much better than ME. From experience I know I have had problems with ME (among hundreds of others) where RAM wasn't managed correctly. For example I had 512MB and about 384MB would be used and slowly it would rise until I had none left and had to reboot. With 2000 I didn't have that problem.

While the 9x OSes do not manage anything above 512MB of RAM very well(even compared to the bad job of memory management alltogether) It does support up to 1GB, as long as your hardware supports it. The problem I have seen with this is either the system not seeing part of the RAM, or a slowdown in performance when you go above 512MB.

i've got 2 sticks of 512MB (PC2700) DDR and WinME won't boot for me either...

I've read you can make a small alteration in your system.ini to support the larger RAM amounts, but I'm too lazy to do it =P

so, likely chance is trelad, your RAM isn't faulty, coz i've got this exact problem too..

i dual boot with XP though, ME's just for UT :p

Greeno do you think you could find that link so he could give the system.ini fix a shot? If you are too lazy to try, maybe he could and let you know how it goes.

lol

actually i tried that, no it doesn't work, all u have to do is add 1 line to one section of the .ini file, took me a matter of 15 seconds, and greeno, if your too lazy to do that, then all i have to say, is good luck in life man.

also, i gave a call to microsoft, they told me that it wont support it no matter what i do, so i have to go get XP because it supports up to 4gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back