MakerBot's 3D scanner now available for pre-order, priced at $1,400

By Shawn Knight
Aug 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. MakerBot on Thursday opened pre-orders for the MakerBot Digitizer, a 3D desktop scanner that will go hand-in-hand with your MakerBot Replicator 3D printer. The scanner, which was first announced back in March, will allow users to create digital files of...

Read more
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,423

That is awesome!

Side note:
    I wonder how many will be sued for patent violations, made available by this tech.
    JC713 and wastedkill like this.
  3. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,073   +75

"How exactly will MakerBot deal with the inevitable onslaught of intellectual property questions associated with the Digitizer?"

That's not their problem. It's a tool, nothing more. It's the responsibility of the person that purchases and uses the tool to use it in a responsible manner, and it is not the manufacturer's responsibility to ensure it is used appropriately.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,858   +343

The copyright rules are hardly different between a 3d scanner and a 2d scanner. As Wendig0 said its a tool. creators of 2d scanners arent getting sued when a user scans in an entire book.
    Wendig0 likes this.
  5. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 815   +19

When you see this (a star trek replicator) and the implications, you realize how wrong all the rules are that we put up with. Sunsetting time, like our forefathers foretold.
  6. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,697   +873

This is so cool. I wouldnt want to dump $1400 on it lol. I hope that whoever buys it will have millions to spend in case of lawsuits :D.
  7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,385   +607

Ugh, I need to move my butt. It's been over a year since I drafted plans for pretty much this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.