Making 2 usb drives share the same drive letter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wanting to use 2 usb drives for backup. i am using one drive at a time and when one backs up i swap it with another so that i can take one offsite. does anyone know how to assign 2 drives with the same drive letter. I wouldnt be plugging them in at the same time. I want it this way so that i wont have to change the drive letter every time. Is there any drive management software out there that will do this? Please help me!!!

You don't have to assign them drive letters. I have a number of clients that I do exactly what you want to do (off-site back-up we call it). Plug one in and note what letter it is assigned. As long as you don't keep plugging in device after device, it will always get the next available drive letter.

You are better off assigning your other HDD's that are fixed into your PC drive letters, leaving your USB HDD's to always take the next available letter (which is common behaviour, if nothing is assigned E:, it will get E: ).

hey thanks for the reply that helps me out a lot. I saw somewhere that you could save an .ini file on your usb device that tells it to always assume 1 drive letter. Has anyone ever heard of this. I might be way off but thought I'd ask.

Sorry but I haven't heard of that. It may be the case, but usually you assign a drive a permenant letter through formatting or converting the file system.
Also, if you do assign it a permenant letter, other PCs will not see it as that specific letter ... it will always get the next available letter on other PCs.

ok i guess that it really doesnt matter. i am only going to take one drive off at a time. Hey thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back