TechSpot

Making best of 5.1 sound card without 5.1 audio files

By peterlonz
Aug 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I am just trying to come to grips with possibilities using my new Asus Xonar DG Soundcard.
    It's a well reviewed but low cost card @ $28 & I selected it to replace my failed on-board Card.
    So I now have my desktop amplified speakers set up, but they are budget variety & somewhat limited, although I do not expect or need high volume.
    I happen to have several small (ex car) amps, & several pairs of reasonably sized reasonable quality speakers, so I thought "what about a 4 speaker set up"?
    Is this possible & how can it be wired up?
    If done this way should I hook up a double gang log pot to control volume rather than use the on screen slide control which is not that easy when you are doing other things.
  2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,452   +620

There should be a 'speaker fill' checkbox or similar in your audio manager.

Alternatively, you can use a splitter to split the L/R audio between the front jack and rear jack, giving you the same sound coming from the four speakers.

Or, you may find that it's annoying....
  3. peterlonz

peterlonz Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Tried Sound & Device Mngr using Control Panel but can't find anywhere allowing a fill checkbox.
    I use Win7(64).
    I guess I could use a splitter but I had it in the back of my mind that this could degrade the sound.
    Understand 4 speakers may or may not actually improve the sound & it does mean I will have to rely on the screen volume adjust slider which as I have said is not the best option. Hence my suggestion for the pot.
  4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,452   +620

There's no Realtek or whatever anymore?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.