Making best of 5.1 sound card without 5.1 audio files

I am just trying to come to grips with possibilities using my new Asus Xonar DG Soundcard.
It's a well reviewed but low cost card @ $28 & I selected it to replace my failed on-board Card.
So I now have my desktop amplified speakers set up, but they are budget variety & somewhat limited, although I do not expect or need high volume.
I happen to have several small (ex car) amps, & several pairs of reasonably sized reasonable quality speakers, so I thought "what about a 4 speaker set up"?
Is this possible & how can it be wired up?
If done this way should I hook up a double gang log pot to control volume rather than use the on screen slide control which is not that easy when you are doing other things.

There should be a 'speaker fill' checkbox or similar in your audio manager.

Alternatively, you can use a splitter to split the L/R audio between the front jack and rear jack, giving you the same sound coming from the four speakers.

Or, you may find that it's annoying....

Tried Sound & Device Mngr using Control Panel but can't find anywhere allowing a fill checkbox.
I use Win7(64).
I guess I could use a splitter but I had it in the back of my mind that this could degrade the sound.
Understand 4 speakers may or may not actually improve the sound & it does mean I will have to rely on the screen volume adjust slider which as I have said is not the best option. Hence my suggestion for the pot.

Back