Making Dual OS System

Status
Not open for further replies.

whtddusy516

So my friend wants to set up his computer so he can run Win98 SE and WinXP Professional. But the way he wants to set it up im not sure about. Right now we just put a 20gb HD into his computer and its formated for NTFS. He wants to install Win98 first, which wouldnt work because its NTFS so we would have to make it Fat32. But then he wants to Ghost his XP image over...wouldnt that make things a little screwy?

last time i did this i just did a clean install on two different blank partitions just to stop confusion.

so could anyone tell me what we could do to fix this setup.

thanks

Ghosting is a bad idea since Win98 absolutely has to be on the C: partition and the XP was probably installed on C: too - cloning it to some other partition will break it for sure.

One can try of course.. Install 98 first (delete the NTFS partiton and create a new FAT32 one for 98) and then ghost XP into the remaining free space. Then make a repair install of XP on top of all that.

I still recommend doing a clean install of XP.

k, i was trying to convince him to do the clean install but he likes to do everything the cool way and has no patience so he doesnt like these things lol but yea, i need a new win98 disc for him because it owuldnt get past the system config

someone told me that installing xp first is better..is that true?

No! 98 installation will trod all over the XP and break many things. You'd have to repair XP afterwards (if it is still repairable).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back