Making the Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrokid

The computer i currently have runs on a radeon 9600. I removed the old one and have it stored downstairs. Would it be possible to transfer the 9600 in this computer into another computer and put back the old graphic chip into this one? If so would everything still run perfectly? And would this effect the graphics on the other computer [the one that would be getting the 9600]?.

Yes, you can do it.

It is advisable to remove the device from Windows Device Manager before actually powering down and taking the card out.

And of course it will affect the graphics of a computer if you replace the video card..

i mean would it hinder the performance since it was already in another card?

Also how do i remove it from Windows Device Manager properly?

Perormance depends on the card itself and the drivers.
If the new one is faster than the old one then the graphics performance will improve unless you will be using the old drivers. (Only possible if they are both ATI cards).

First see if you see the drivers for your video card in Add- or Remove Programs. If yes, remove them through that. Then open Device Manager and locate your display adapter. Right click it and select uninstall.

When you are propmted to restart, say no and shut down instead. Take out the old card and put in the new one. Make sure you plug the new one in properly so it sits snugly in the socket.

Power on. It should start beeping right away when something is wrong.
Windows will detect the new card and will install drivers or it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back