Making XP and 2000 play nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying ot get a home network set up, I have a total of 3 computers, and I'm workign on simply getting two fo them to work together nicely at the moment. I have a Panasonic laptop running windows 2000, and a HP desktop that is running Windows XP home SP1... As much as I would liek to get rid of XP and up grade the desktop I don't have the money right now. I can currently access the laptop from the desktop, and see the desktop from the laptop, but when I try to access the desktop from the laptop I get an error of

\\name is not accessible.
access denied.

I have tried using both the name and the IP to access the desktop, and get the same result. poking around, I saw some stuff on usernames causing a problem, so I re-did the desktop to have the same username and password for the adminsitrator, as well as created an administrator account named everybody with the same password on both computers, as was recomended on some sites.

I'm to the point I don't have any other ideas, the firewall for xp has been turned off, and I also tried creating a new network, with a new workgroup name and different names for each computer, with no better luck.

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Do you have the "use simple file sharing (recommended)" option ticked or unticked in My Computer | Tools | Folder options | View Tab? If it is ticked then I would recommend un-ticking it. Create a new folder under My Documents, right click on it and select the "sharing and security" tab, set the folder to be shared and give it a share name.

Also, have you tried connecting to the Desktop using '\\name\c$' this should prompt you for a username and password, use an administrative account.

Do you have any third party firewall software runnning on the desktop computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back