Male/female stereo question

All the connections (grnd, left, right) are on the center shaft.
from the tip end, the tip is channel X, the next ring is channel Y and the base is the ground.
X vs Y? one is left and the other the right, but it all depends where the other end of the wires end up.

When working with stereo, it is best to use a braided covered, two wire leads of different colors ( copper & silver are typical). The braided shield is the ground and that must be connected to the base and at the remote end also to ground connection - - this is typically where it goes awry.

Technically, there's are true left/right channels in the circuitry and by rights those signals should come all the way thru to the speakers / headphones - - but unless you fuss with testing left, then right, you'll never now the difference. If you have to have it right, then at the remote end, just swap where the leads were attached.

Your last paragraph is where I messed up.The ethernet wire I used is color coded , I just failed to test it as I went. I didn't use the white/green pair. Will take it apart & try again, thank you. :)
ETHERNET.jpg

@jobeard , would it be better to use 1 wire or 2? In post #3, I was using two from the ethernet to connect to 1 from the stereo plug thinking it might be better.

A stereo output jack (female) will need two wires PLUS the grounded shield

If
A stereo output jack (female) will need two wires PLUS the grounded shield
then clearly the male plug needs likewise.
In the picture it shows brown & orange & blue, each with a white one.
again, WRONG WIRE -- using the correct wire, there are only two + ground.

Now if attempting to get from pc to a pair of speakers:

Code:
         (common grnd)
     ============ speaker1
     ||
        -----    -------- left
      -------- common ground---- PC
        -----   ---------right
     ||
     ============ speaker2
         (common grnd)

Ok, I might give this whole thing up because the female plug has three wires, black,red & another undetermined color as does the male plug. I was hooking the orange ethernet wire to the red plug wire, the blue one to the black & the brown to the unknown color.
Rather than frustrate myself, I think I'll buy an extension.Thank you for your help & patience (y):)

Black is ground & needs to go to BOTH speakers

Red is 'channel A' and the other 'channel B'

@jobeard , thank you for your patience with me. After getting the wires correct & it still not working, I found out the male jack was defective :mad: I went out & bought a 20' extension & it works great. :)

Back