malfunction usb please help i just lost all my year 12 work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help im in year 12 and i have just lost all my work for the semester the usb has gone through the wash and everytime i try and plug it into a computer it says malfunctiong usb and i can not access it is there anyway i can access it please help

thanks

Its probably hosed. Lots of times having them go through the wash won't kill them. What does kill them is plugging them in before everything is completely dry.

You could buy some 99% isopropyl and soak it in that for a while. Probably at least a few minutes, making sure the whole thing is saturated. Then remove it and let it completely dry. Like open up your case and set it on top of your hard drive for a day or something. You have to get all of the moisture out. It probably won't work, and with the alcohol it probably won't take very long for it to dry so a day might be more than necessary, but you definately want to be sure there is no water left in it.

Your other option is to open it up and see if there is any corrosion or soapy material left, and clean that off with alcohol. Again letting it dry.

Like I said it probably won't work, but it definately isn't working now, and I know of no other way to recover it after you've screwed it up by powering it when wet. Luckily it isn't something important like all your work for a Masters degree or PhD. I'd just use this as a learning expierence and always back up my data. You should also never have your only copy of something on a flash drive. Just take a look around this forum and the internet for all the failures of flash drives.

Hi,

There`s firm HERE who charge about $150 to recover USBs.
(no recovery no charge).

That firm is offered as an example of what`s on offer.

Try leaving the USB to dry for a few days.You never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back