Man facing five years in prison for making threats on Whisper

midian182

Staff member

Even if an app promises anonymity, using them to make violent threats is never a good idea. Just ask Garrett Grimsley of Cary, North Carolina, who is now facing up to five years in prison for a public Whisper post that sounded very alarming.

According to a federal criminal complaint, Grimsley (who is white) on February 19 wrote: “Salam, some of you are alright, don’t go to Cary tomorrow.” When an unnamed user asked for more information, the pair started a private chat, in which Grimsley said: "Aslam Alaikum brother. For too long the kuffar have spit in our faces and trampled our rights. This cannot continue. I cannot speak of anything. Say your dua, sleep, and watch the news tomorrow.”

It’s assumed the person Grimsley was talking to informed the authorities, who then ordered Whisper to hand over the IP addresses associated with the account. The company says it doesn’t retain information such as real names and addresses, but will keep IP addresses for a limited time and comply with law enforcement requests for user data.

Once they had contacted Grimsley’s ISP – Time Warner – for his address, the FBI raided his apartment, where they found an AK47 and 340 rounds of ammunition. Whether the weapon was legally owned is unclear.

When the feds arrived, Grimsley was attempting to encrypt his computer’s hard drive, which was only 63 percent done. He was also engaged in a private conversation, likely using his phone, with a Facebook user named “Tim Tam.” The pair were discussing the Whisper posts and the possibility of Grimsley being raided. After noticing the surveillance vehicle, he wrote “"holy f**k I'm actually going to get raided."

Investigators found other messages on Grimsley’s Facebook account, many of which may suggest his threats weren’t serious – despite the weapon and ammo. “I yell about jihad and shooting all the people all the time, too much CSGO [Counter Strike Global Offensive] and nasheeds [Islamic videos containing speeches and music],” states one message. Another reads: “The FBI will understand I was only reading Dabiq [An online magazine published by ISIS] for the pictures, right?”

Whatever his intentions were, Grimsley is being charged with one count of "transmitting a threat in interstate commerce to injure the person of another," a crime that carries a sentence of up to five years in prison.

Permalink to story.

According to a federal criminal complaint, Grimsley (who is white) on February 19 wrote: “Salam, some of you are alright, don’t go to Cary tomorrow.” When an unnamed user asked for more information, the pair started a private chat, in which Grimsley said: "Aslam Alaikum brother. For too long the kuffar have spit in our faces and trampled our rights. This cannot continue. I cannot speak of anything. Say your dua, sleep, and watch the news tomorrow.”

He's white, folks. Nothing to see here.

What kind of ******* makes threats like that and thinks its fun and games in this day and age?!

Honestly they should have just drone bombed his house and swept it under the rug as a gas leak or whatever.

What kind of ******* makes threats like that and thinks its fun and games in this day and age?!

Honestly they should have just drone bombed his house and swept it under the rug as a gas leak or whatever.

Deport him to Syria.

Why do you want to hurt the house ?! Leave the house alone.

So Techspot, are you now going to become an SJW warrior site? Why did you have to write in there about the person in this case being "white" Who cares what the skin color is. Why does this matter, and if this is the level of journalism we can expect on this site, why should we continue to support you?

It doesn't sound like a threat. I'm always scrutinies perhaps because I get a discount at the ymca and that's called a scholarship. I'm ending my membership. I've told people on facebook to quit posting death threats, because no fabulous facebook censors stop that but absolutely trivial things I put on there get deleted, perhaps by jealous people jealous of what? Lived in los an jeaous? Dumbbell. I haven't lived there for 26 years and please make a note of it. In fun to entertain people and even play the non-existent "god" as a "hobby" is not in my "job description", altho it is interesting and please as I have tried to leave my mother's apartment for 4 months now they still can't live without me, not just my mother. The mental energy/souls seems to come from me for everything "civilized" that was successful (even the group rem says we haven't reached the moon as I didn't study rocket science; apollo telecast is the mountains of mouna lau/hawaii. Thank nixon (thrown out getting revenge) giving all our jobs to china too as part of that. He did stop vietnam; almost impossible for anyone else to stop any war. You've talked of lies of things that almost everything is, but the joy of your web site and facebook comes and goes. Remember we're here to at least like thy neighbor. Someday I might drive down to equador and give julio a nice reward if he wants it. In reading above, the white trash here are absolutely hideous. When in rome do as the romans do just because it's easier. You know I'm a white boy.

Last edited:
Why did you have to write in there about the person in this case being "white" Who cares what the skin color is.

There's an insidious little trend lately to associate young white males with mass shootings. For a while it was taken as a "joke" with incredibly poor taste (see the stuff said about 10 year old Barron Trump) but now the fact that it appears to be worth a mention in a legit news article is a little worrying.

So Techspot, are you now going to become an SJW warrior site? Why did you have to write in there about the person in this case being "white" Who cares what the skin color is. Why does this matter, and if this is the level of journalism we can expect on this site, why should we continue to support you?
What you mean "we" kimosabe?

What kind of mental disease or defect brings someone to a website simply to threaten not to support it?

And actually the man's race is quite Germaine to the issue. A Muslim man of Moorish, Arabic, or Persian origin and extraction making jihadist threats is far from unexpected. A white man making threats in the manner of a terrorist, forces much speculation into his motives, personal issues, and state of mind.

Last edited:
And actually the man's race is quite Germaine to the issue. A Muslim man of Moorish, Arabic, or Persian origin and extraction making jihadist threats is far from unexpected. A white man making threats in the manner of a terrorist, forces much speculation into his motives, personal issues, and state of mind.
I thought it was pertinent as well.

It doesn't sound like a threat. I'm always scrutinies perhaps because I get a discount at the ymca and that's called a scholarship. I'm ending my membership. I've told people on facebook to quit posting death threats, because no fabulous facebook censors stop that but absolutely trivial things I put on there get deleted, perhaps by jealous people jealous of what? Lived in los an jeaous? Dumbbell. I haven't lived there for 26 years and please make a note of it. In fun to entertain people and even play the non-existent "god" as a "hobby" is not in my "job description", altho it is interesting and please as I have tried to leave my mother's apartment for 4 months now they still can't live without me, not just my mother. The mental energy/souls seems to come from me for everything "civilized" that was successful (even the group rem says we haven't reached the moon as I didn't study rocket science; apollo telecast is the mountains of mouna lau/hawaii. Thank nixon (thrown out getting revenge) giving all our jobs to china too as part of that. He did stop vietnam; almost impossible for anyone else to stop any war. You've talked of lies of things that almost everything is, but the joy of your web site and facebook comes and goes. Remember we're here to at least like thy neighbor. Someday I might drive down to equador and give julio a nice reward if he wants it. In reading above, the white trash here are absolutely hideous. When in rome do as the romans do just because it's easier. You know I'm a white boy.

Play that funky music....
Play that funky music right!

Back