Man reaches Steam Level 1070, owns more than half the games in platform's library

midian182

Staff member

Have you got an impressive Steam level? The number is based on the amount of titles in your library, crafting badges, and participation in Steam events. Leveling up isn’t easy – the average user is somewhere between 7 and 12 – so imagine what it took for one member to reach 1046 1058 1070.

PalmDesert, a 35-year old man from Japan, managed to get the incredibly high rating by owning 5132 games. That’s a huge chunk of the 9500+ titles and DLC packs found on Steam. He was the first person to reach level 1000, a feat Valve wasn’t prepared for - the company hadn’t even created an icon for the achievement at the time.

You would think that owning so many games would mean that PalmDesert hasn’t invested a lot of time into any particular title, but he’s already clocked up over 500 hours on games like Rocksmith 2014, Left 4 Dead 2, and Ultra Street Fighter IV. He hasn’t actually played over half his Steam library - not a unique achievement – but he’s still spent 11,555 hours on his pastime.

PalmDesert does get a lot of help building his game collection from other users. He’s received hundreds of titles as free gifts from people who want to see how high they can get his Steam level. He’s also quite frugal when it comes to making purchases of his own: he bought the majority of his games for $1 - $10.

Buying and selling trading cards and badges goes a long way toward increasing a user’s Steam level. With 500,000 Steam market transactions, it’s no surprise PalmDesert boasts the platform’s highest ranking. His closest competitor, StrikeR, is at level 993 1033.

Permalink to story.

I still don't understand why I would bother with the level, trading cards and all those crap when I can actually spend the time to play the games.
getting trading cards means you can sell them and get another cheap game during one of the many steam sales.
I also don't do it, but I understand why some would want to do it.

Level 57 for me and I mostly don't bother trying, I just have a huge library and basically get badges for fun. Don't forget that I believe it was 2013's Christmas badge maxes out at level 1,000 or so. x.x

1 badge level = 100xp and that's just basically pure insanity.. :p

I'm level 26 despite being on steam for a decade. It seems to me that these level ups are mainly about bragging rights.

I actually feel sorry for him. The sheer amount of in development, or half-unfinished / semi-abandoned "Unity Engine Personal Edition" junk (you know the ones) being shoveled out under the "Indie games" umbrella is unreal.

Honestly I cannot see any value in steam levels. Seems pretty arbitrary?
The only real reason is every level or few increases the amount of friends you can have at once. I don't know what the default cap is, but the amount of people who would actually need that much is slim (streamers, etc).

Other than that, like others said, it's just a bragging right. Although I've never seen anyone care enough to brag...

Back