TechSpot

Mandrake 10.1 Boot Problems, Please Help

By mrchu
Oct 16, 2004
  1. I have 3 Hard Drives

1x Raptor 36 gig
    2x 160 Gig IDE

I have win xp installed on the sata raptor, and I installed linux on a 10 gig partition of one of the IDE's...I have changed my hard drive boot sequence to the one with linux being primary boot...so that works fine, it boots up and I can choose linux, linux safe, windows etc...

The problem is when I boot linux, i get the error:

/dev/sda1/ is not a valid block device

I _can_ boot into the linux os after this message if i press the i key at the right time when booting, and it seems fine....it's just not a very convenient way to get into an os (randomly hitting the keyboard :haha: )

So can anyone help? I think maybe if I can just get linux to completely ignore the raptor (sata, xp device) then it will boot fine...and this will work better anyway because I could do without any interactive between my linux and xp hard drives....don't want them to start a fight or anything huh :)

thanks for reading :hotouch:

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Most likely Linux is trying to mount your Windows partition but fails for some reason.

Look in /etc/fstab and comment out (add # in the beginning of the line) those lines that refer to your SATA drive (/dev/sda).

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.