Manually removing items from the Add/Remove Programs List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

It hit me the other day when I noticed that for some bizarre reason I had 2 entries for Sigma Design's DVD Station and Hollywood Plus software in my Add / Remove Programs List, that I had completely forgotten how to sort this, despite the fact that I had somehow worked it out or looked it up in the past.

This a common problem with Windowz and something that, for some reason, tends to really annoy people, so I have posted the relevant links and quote here:

How to Manually Remove Programs from the Add/Remove Programs List (Q247501)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q247501

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 2000 , Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 , Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 , Professional
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Windows 95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT : This article contains information about editing the registry. Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs. For information about how to do this, view the "Restoring the Registry" Help topic in Regedit.exe or the "Restoring a Registry Key" Help topic in Regedt32.exe.

SUMMARY
This article describes how to manually remove items from the Add/Remove Programs tool if the item is still displayed after you try to remove the item from Add/Remove Programs.

MORE INFORMATION
WARNING : Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

Programs that are compatible with Windows may have an uninstallation program or feature. The Add/Remove programs tool lists all of the Windows-compatible programs that have an uninstall program or feature. You may need to manually remove the program from the Add/Remove Programs list if you uninstall a program and the registry key that is used to display the program name is not removed correctly:

Click Start , click Run , type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

Locate and click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
After you click the Uninstall registry key, click Export Registry File on the Registry menu.

In the Export Registry File dialog box, click Desktop in the Save in box, type uninstall in the File name box, and then click Save .

Each key under Uninstall represents a program that appears in Add/Remove Programs. To determine which program that each key represents, click the key, and then view the following values:

DisplayName - the value data for the DisplayName key is the name that is listed in Add/Remove Programs

-and-

UninstallString - the value data for the UninstallString key is the program that is used to uninstall the program
After you identify the registry key that represents the program that is still in Add/Remove Programs, right-click the key, and then click Delete .

After you delete the key, click Start , point to Settings , and then click Control Panel .

In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs .

In Add/Remove Programs, verify that the program for which you deleted the registry key is not listed.

If the program list is not correct in Add/Remove Programs, you can double-click the Uninstall.reg file on your desktop to restore the original list of programs in the registry.

If the program list is correct in Add/Remove Programs, you can right-click the Uninstall.reg file on your desktop, and then click Delete .

Just a question about this...

When we are supposed to delete the registry key, do we delete the whole folder or just one of the subkeys, because as soon as I did this with Adobe Photoshop 7.0, I have had trouble saving things with it. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back