Manuel Driver Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel161

Durring dirver installation on my 98se for my new usb drive. The computer wont take the supplyed driver the company gave me.
Is their a way to force the computer to use that driver? The company gave me a .inf .pdr .sys . Somtimes I get "Driver contains no device info" errors.
The actuall device is the PNY "attache 1 GB". Any help posted will be tried!

Thanks!

--Daniel L

I have three different PNY flash drives including the same 1GB that you have and one of my PC's is an old Windows 98SE machine. For some reason the driver supplied on the disk that comes with the PNY does not work. It doesn't seem to include the inf file that is supposed to be there. Go to the PNY website here: PNY

Download the appropriate driver from this page, unzip it and install it. This WILL solve your problem.

Hi Daniel,
"manuel" is a friend of mine. He lives in Mexico. Manual is how you tried to install USB device driver. Supplyed is supplied like this...

Does this driver CD or floppy have an install or setup file on it? If it does, try to install the driver this way. Also, you can go to the PNY website and download the Windows 98 driver for the device from there

The one I have is the one from the pny site. The computer wont take it. The drove did not come with a cd or floppy. The package just says it will work with win 2000 and ME and up with no driver. Download the 98se driver from pny.com. So I dont know why it wont work. Since you have it, can I try your copy of the files? email daniel@everythingdaniel.com

THANKS!

--Daniel L

Daniel, are you sure you are selecting the proper Windows 98 USB device driver for your model USB drive?

Yes, you are right. The 1GB PNY did not come with a CD with a driver. My mistake. The others I have did but not that one.

The driver is not a self executable. It won't install by itself by double clicking on an exe file. There isn't one. After unzipping, you should have three files named: musb6E.inf, PU20DISK.PDR, and PU20SYSD.SYS.

When you plug the flash drive into the USB port, it should eventually open a dialog box to search for a driver. Direct it to the folder in which the three files are kept and install it that way.

I do it that way and 98se wont take it saying it could not find anything, even when I pointed it to the location. Then when it becomes "Unknown Device" after failing I can go to CP> System> device properties and try to "Update Driver" then I get the error like I posted first, somthing like .... "Driver contains no device info". So is it just not going to work on that computer? Or is their a registry edit that I can do to trick it into using that driver?

Yes, I have the three files, and yes I am 99.99999999999% positive I have the correct driver downloaded.

Thanks!

--Daniel L

OK here is the end result...

I tried it on another 98se computer and it would not take the driver also. So I just searched for a generic driver and that fixed that! Thanks for your help everyone!

And I could use XP but the activation thing is a problem! I did load XP on it from the laptop disks but had no idea it knew which lisence code had been activated! So I had to go back to 98. A new computer is in store for 2007!

--Daniel L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back