TechSpot

Many Origin accounts are being hijacked, EA offers no explanation

By Matthew
Nov 14, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. If you have an Origin account, you may want to change your password. Scattered reports from gamers including Eurogamer's Richard Leadbetter indicate that EA may have suffered a security breach. Affected users claim to have received an email from Origin...

Read more

2. Its EA... what did you expect?

avoidz likes this.
  3. A good ga... oh, you almost had me there

4. krayzie

krayzie TS Rookie Posts: 62

Yep... My account got hacked and hacker changed my dob so account gone for ever... Dumb asses won't even check ip logs etc

5. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 880   +130

I changed my password. Hopefully that's good enough...

6. chuckmeister

chuckmeister TS Rookie

Yeah it happened to me as well a while ago... I created my account again with my email address.. then EA's garbage site wouldn't let me log into that for a while.. kept at it over the course of a week.. was able to login.. and get tech support on chat.. I had my e-mail receipt of a transaction and gave them all of the info and said this e-mail account was hacked prior to me creating it again.. they asked for my dob which was wrong.. but I refused to take no for answer and eventually they ported everything to my account again. What a mess of a system.

7. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,685   +60

Probably the same people that hacked those d3 accounts.

8. My EA Account always disconnected me (said I am offline) since last sunday and it became very frusturated when playing ME3 MP. Endup I login and changed my password to a much more complex and I am not getting disconnection during games or suddenlly it goes offline (EA Origin) on the desktop.
    I suggest everyone login and change their password.

9. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Let me see if I have been hacked...

10. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Booster Posts: 580   +98

Done, changed. I only have two games on Origin but I wouldn't let this one get way with it.

11. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

Happened to a friend. He filed a credit card charge dispute for the original purchase and then EA came to the party.

12. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

Because they are the only hackers in the world?

13. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TS Maniac Posts: 388

Yep, happened with my Origin account, but like 2-3 months ago.

My Battlefield 3 account was hacked into, had it's name changed, the registered email changed, essentially everything on the block. I talked to EA Games though, and I got my whole entire account back (I gave them hard evidence proof that they belonged to me, Physical Copies of the games with their codes and and order numbers and receipts printed, as well as a bank statement beside them. Irrefutable proof).

Since I'm one of the survivors of this stupid aftermath, that's what I can advise to many of you.

And yes, I know that EA/ Origin is terrible, but atm there's no other way to play Battlefield 3, so... meh.

14. I guess I'm glad I didn't buy battlefield 3 then

15. I haven't used my EA/Origin account in a very long time, will have to check it out and change password.

16. So, this is the fifth time in one year I've had to create a brand new Origin account using yet another gmail address. EA is banned forever from my household. I purchased one title through Origin - never again. My kids can move out if they want anything EA... ever again.

17. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Here we go again... I feel safer if I just delete the account and never use it again.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.