Marissa Mayer's impact at Yahoo over the past four years

Shawn Knight

Staff member

As you’ve no doubt heard by now, Verizon on Monday agreed to purchase Internet pioneer Yahoo’s operating business for $4.8 billion. While many will see the acquisition as proof that Mayer failed at CEO, she’s quick to point out all of the accomplishments that have taken place at Yahoo since her arrival.

Ars Technica notes that during a call with investors, Mayer said they invested and built their mobile, video, native and social businesses from nothing in 2011 to $1.6 billion in GAAP revenue last year. What’s more, Yahoo tripled its mobile base to more than 600 million monthly active users over the same span of time and just last year, generated more than $1 billion in mobile advertising revenue.

The publication said investors seemed positive about the deal, with one congratulating Mayer directly and other extending congratulations to the entire Yahoo management team for putting together the deal.

The status of Mayer’s future with the company is unclear at this time. Ars said she seems likely to leave (especially with a $57 million severance waiting in the wings) although she said she loves Yahoo and “plan[s] to stay.” She added that her immediate priorities include seeing the transaction through to closing and protecting the value of their equity stakes.

Should she decide to roll out, Mayer would likely wait until the transaction is closed in Q1 2017 before doing so. Regardless of what happens, however, Mayer has made a boatload of money from Yahoo. Over the past four years, she’s raked in $139.6 million according to USA Today.

Lead image courtesy Reuters

Permalink to story.

[/s]

I think what they should have done is shed their old brand and start with a new fresh one. Just my opinion though.

Wow so in 5 years time + the severance pay made over 200+ million dollars.
I don't really care what she made, that's fine.

but
"Ars Technica notes that during a call with investors, Mayer said they invested and built their mobile, video, native and social businesses from nothing in 2011 to $1.6 billion in GAAP revenue last year. What’s more, Yahoo tripled its mobile base to more than 600 million monthly active users over the same span of time and just last year, generated more than $1 billion in mobile advertising revenue."

I'd like to see other company's numbers for that time period. I mean, those number seem good, but a lot has happened since 2011. would I be surprised to learn that other tech companies did far better? nope....

but
"Ars Technica notes that during a call with investors, Mayer said they invested and built their mobile, video, native and social businesses from nothing in 2011 to $1.6 billion in GAAP revenue last year. What’s more, Yahoo tripled its mobile base to more than 600 million monthly active users over the same span of time and just last year, generated more than $1 billion in mobile advertising revenue."

I'd like to see other company's numbers for that time period. I mean, those number seem good, but a lot has happened since 2011. would I be surprised to learn that other tech companies did far better? nope....

That's a great question.

Wow so in 5 years time + the severance pay made over 200+ million dollars.

but

Most of that can be found in their 10K statements. Recent years are listed on the investment page of the corporate site, historical filings over at the SEC.

She probably gave it her best shot but it was such a big ball of cancer that I doubt anyone could've pulled off that impossible task yet she did what all women worth their salt do when the going gets tough, she went on a shopping spree. Nobody expected any less.

Clearly over paid from the start. Maybe they can write it all off. She even bought companies that were never used or turned over.

The woman completely trashed Yahoo leaving no stone unturned. She totaled the layouts, created huge uproars over wrecking Yahoo mail, made contacting customer service completely un-doable, and soured Yahoo entirely for to least 80% of it's users. She came to Yahoo straight from Google, which leads me to believe that she never actually left Googoo (hate it!) and that this was her "former" employers plan all along, to totally ruin Yahoo, thus eliminating Googoo's biggest competition! It makes a lot of sense if one actually thinks about it.

In 2008, Microsoft offered 44,6 billion for Yahoo. The company now worth 4.8 billion ... yeah, great !
I think that really says it all.

"mobile, video, native and social businesses from nothing in 2011 to $1.6 billion in GAAP revenue last year"
For their business to now be worth about 1/9th of what it was before, they basically train wrecked their previously massive revenue streams.

Another CEO rewarded for what? In this case I might give Mayer the benefit of the doubt that Yahoo's search business was arguably not salvagable at all and Yahoo's decline was inevitable. Is that what the shareholders now think? That 1/9th the value is a good result considering the direction they were heading?

"mobile, video, native and social businesses from nothing in 2011 to $1.6 billion in GAAP revenue last year"
For their business to now be worth about 1/9th of what it was before, they basically train wrecked their previously massive revenue streams.

Another CEO rewarded for what? In this case I might give Mayer the benefit of the doubt that Yahoo's search business was arguably not salvagable at all and Yahoo's decline was inevitable. Is that what the shareholders now think? That 1/9th the value is a good result considering the direction they were heading?

They were probably thinking at least we made something before this ship sunk.

So better to have something even if small than nothing.

I though the Yahoo brand was getting more recognized and hip when she came on board but it didn't seem like it was changing enough and not for the good. It's not as if I ever really used Yahoo but from what I saw and read it seemed that under her leadership the company was buying a ridiculous amount of small startups and some seemed completely useless. The Yahoo Homepage seemed bloated and slow as usual. Their mail restricted and I think they were still trying to charge money for ad free experience? It seems like they company could have gone up very much (and maybe it did at one point with Microsoft offering 46 Billion for it) but it sunk just as fast as it may have risen.

Aside from her personal failure I'm sure her butthole is only hurting a little with her severance package.

The woman completely trashed Yahoo leaving no stone unturned. She totaled the layouts, created huge uproars over wrecking Yahoo mail, made contacting customer service completely un-doable, and soured Yahoo entirely for to least 80% of it's users. She came to Yahoo straight from Google, which leads me to believe that she never actually left Googoo (hate it!) and that this was her "former" employers plan all along, to totally ruin Yahoo, thus eliminating Googoo's biggest competition! It makes a lot of sense if one actually thinks about it.

I try not to use my derivative ISP Yahoo web mail portal or the home pages it's riddled with Marissa Meyer Yahoo nagware and ads now and cluttered up . I Use the longstanding account with the windows 10 e mail client UWP I like much better instead .

Moderator note: bluto, please learn to quote correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2008, Microsoft offered 44,6 billion for Yahoo. The company now worth 4.8 billion ... yeah, great !

Dunno - if Yahoo was on a negative trend and she stopped it then things might not be that simple. If Yahoo was the bomb in 2008 but was failling miserably being totally owned by Google in 2011-2012 when this dudette took it over then ... I would say things are not that simple to judge.

As you’ve no doubt heard by now, Verizon on Monday agreed to purchase Internet pioneer Yahoo’s operating business for $4.8 billion. While many will see the acquisition as proof that Mayer failed at CEO, she’s quick to point out all of the accomplishments that have taken place at Yahoo since her arrival.

Ars Technica notes that during a call with investors, Mayer said they invested and built their mobile, video, native and social businesses from nothing in 2011 to $1.6 billion in GAAP revenue last year. What’s more, Yahoo tripled its mobile base to more than 600 million monthly active users over the same span of time and just last year, generated more than $1 billion in mobile advertising revenue.

The publication said investors seemed positive about the deal, with one congratulating Mayer directly and other extending congratulations to the entire Yahoo management team for putting together the deal.

The status of Mayer’s future with the company is unclear at this time. Ars said she seems likely to leave (especially with a $57 million severance waiting in the wings) although she said she loves Yahoo and “plan[S] to stay.” She added that her immediate priorities include seeing the transaction through to closing and protecting the value of their equity stakes.

Should she decide to roll out, Mayer would likely wait until the transaction is closed in Q1 2017 before doing so. Regardless of what happens, however, Mayer has made a boatload of money from Yahoo. Over the past four years, she’s raked in $139.6 million according to USA Today.

Lead image courtesy Reuters

Permalink to story.

[/S]
She made a lot, Yahoo is now up- no, down there, with AOL, and Google did just what they planned all along by planting her as the CEO- Eliminated a BIG part of the competition.

Back