TechSpot

Marvell unveils quad-core ARM chip for enterprises

By Emil
Nov 9, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Marvell has announced a new system-on-chip (SoC) product, the first ARM-based solution designed for servers: the Armada XP (Extreme Performance). Aimed at enterprises, it features four Marvell-designed ARM v7 MP cores operating at 1.60GHz. The Armada XP will be on display at the ARM technology conference this week (November 9 to November 11, 2010) and is currently sampling to customers.

Read the whole story
  2. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 245   +12

Woww, quadcore! Cool! Can't wait to have some of that power on my next cellphone ;) just imagine the future where you could even overclock your cellphones... Yummy !!
  3. TeamworkGuy2

TeamworkGuy2 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 195

Heheheh, an overclocked cell phone! I pushed mine to 1.93 GHz without crashing, although the a full battery charge gets drained in about 35 minutes. LOL
    Still, it is cool to see new developments in all directions, mobile, desktop, server, netbooks, and even cell phones.
    Wait a sec... the article says:
    NVM, this chip is for server environments.
  4. Cueto_99

Oopss... I relate Arm with low profile electronics... But true... This one's for servers LOL :)
  5. bioflex

bioflex Newcomer, in training Posts: 70

hehe.....i wonder if we really need quad core procs in our phones now, it not like the bettery side of our phones are improving that much too.
  6. sMILEY4ever

sMILEY4ever TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 156

:O Why would any1 overclock their cell? I wouldn't want to deplete it's battery faster.
  7. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,036   +91

ARM lacks too much in the server department to be able to compete. I don't even know why they are putting so much effort there instead of the GMS market where they have a fighting chance. This just looks like a big waste of money from their part.
  8. Cueto_99

Sure, thinking ano 2010, overclocking your mobile CPU is totally a waste of battery life... but try to think 10 years ahead, we might even be able to build our own personalized cellphones (like Pcs, choosing between batteries, screens, cases, etc...), and having a solid mobile gaming scenario by then, with 3D and HD titles, someone might think it would be good to have an overclocking App for the hardcore gaming community! :) wait a minute... did I smoked something today... LOL
  9. ruzveh

ruzveh Banned Posts: 124

These days mobile chips have become more powerfull then my desktop config. :)
  10. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I know, my HTC desire's 1GHz CPU clock speed is only 400MHz slower than my laptops CPU clock speed.... Thats nuts! lol.
  11. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,207   +74

I have been looking for low powered procesors to mount a home server, but I dont want an atom for it... will have to keep looking have seen one another VIA, but never an ARM based.

12. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 971   +30

I wonder how this compares in performance with an Intel ship of the same power draw. Four cores at 1.6GHz at 10W sounds nice, but I'm sure the speed per GHz doesn't compare to modern day x86 CPU's (though might be comparable to the Atom).
  13. Demons

Demons Newcomer, in training Posts: 52

The arm based processors have always been really good in my opinion. All of my old iPAQs have been arm processors and they always seemed to be the best in the market at the time. A low power quad core arm sounds really good! :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.