Mass mailer problem, Deactivated Task manager and Spysheriff-Alfacleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

I am new here, and I need help with a big problem my computer got yesterday which I am still fighting, but not winning.

I have Windows XP and Norton 2005 installed. After some internet surfing on IE (not email opening) and rebooting the computer Suddenly Symantecs proxy mail begins to pop up like crazy telling me that this and that strange emails cannot be send. At the same time spysheriff and alfacleaner are installed to "help" out and everything is a mess and i really cant do anything.
Norton antivirus is not started properly (not active) and then I cannot access the Task manager.

I restart the computer in safe mode (administrator) where thankfully it does not seem to have the mailer problem, or at least it does not hinder me. (I have removed system restore)

I clean up in the temp internet files to speed up process and then I run Norton Antivirus which finds some infections. Also I run Search and Destroy , Spyware Doctor, ADAware and some other spyware. They all find some stuff (different for each program ofcourse :suspiciou ) which I remove.

I also install Hijack and check the entries, and I remove some suspicious ones.

Finally I reboot to normal mode, but unfortunately the mass mailer continues (at least spysheriff and alpha cleaner were stopped) .

What can I do more?

Does anyone recognize this problem and what virus is causing it?
Any suggestion of antivirus program?

Any help will be really appreciated, I hardly slept last night :(

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

This may sound like a strange request, but I want you to run HJT, and click on the config button. Click on the backups button, and tick every box that`s in there. Once they`re all ticked, click on the restore button.

The reason I`m asking you to do this, is because we need to see a HJT log, that has not been tampered with.

Sometimes just fixing an entry in HJT doesn`t actually fix the problem.

Once you`ve done that, follow these instructions.

Go HERE and have your computer scanned.

Then, go and read both these threads by RBS. Follow all the instructions exactly.

How to remove Trojans and its ilk! and How to remove Begin2search / coolwebsearch and other nasties.

Then see. How to post your Hijackthis log-file as an ATTACHMENT.

Only post your HJT log after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

OK here is an update of my War against Worms.

I installed AVG and scanned through the comp for a looong time.
It found several worms and trojans that it deleted.

Unfortunately It seemed to remove couple of important system files also so lot of programs did not work afterwards.

I managed to try again with the latest working settings and most programs were repaired :angel:

Buuuut. Still no Task manager.
So I run XoftSpy and it does not come long until it tells me it has a problem running and that it has to shut down...:(
I tried again , same problem, so finally I ignored the error message, Xoftspy was still running and finding stuff. It found Sasser amongst others and I managed to remove the files.

At last! Task Manager was back! :) Boy was I happy to see it again!

BTW here is my hijack log attached, any help is appreciated.

Your system is still infected with Alfacleaner, amongst other things.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Then, go and follow the instructions I gave you earlier. I can tell from looking at your HJT log, that you have not done this.

Once you`ve done that. Post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back