Massive Problems...trojans, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on a laptop computer that my mom gave me to 'fix' while I'm at college, and I've encountered what apepas to be a laundry list of malware, spyware, viruses, and trojans.

I have winantivirus pop ups, I've confirmed the presence of java/byteVerify, trojan horse lop.aq, and numerous other things that will not go away no matter what program i use, or what instructions I follow!

Any ideas/help on this? thanks! ~andrew~

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read the Trojan Pakes and other nasties preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of ajsmpolar only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Download the Pocket Killbox programme from HERE. Extract it but don`t run it yet.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {13228EA2-4E34-4E31-A670-25531EF4001a} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\potylnii.dll

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {74DD705D-6834-439C-A735-A6DBE2677452} - (no file)

O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0002-0003-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Plug-in 1.4.2_03) -

O20 - Winlogon Notify: gijdhdey - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\gijdhdey.dll

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware quarantine.

Run the killbox.exe file. When it loads type the full path to the file you would like to delete in the field and check the delete file on reboot button. press the Delete File button (looks like a red circle with a white X). It will prompt you to reboot, select no until you have finished inputting the files you want to delete, only then allow it to reboot and hopefully your files will now be deleted. If your computer doesn`t automatically restart, restart it manually.

These are the filepaths you need to enter into killbox.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\gijdhdey.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\potylnii.dll

Once your system has rebooted, turn system restore back on and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know how your system is running.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of ajsmpolar only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

next step.

The system seems to be running okay. Here's the refreshed HJT logfile.
After all is said and done, which anti-virus programs, anti-spyware programs, and firewalls need to be on this computer for continued security?

Your HJT log is now clean.

Have HJT fix the following inactive entry.

O20 - Winlogon Notify: gijdhdey - gijdhdey.dll (file missing)

Click the fix checked button and close HJT.

Your antivirus and firewall software are fine.

I recommend the following programme in addition to the above.

SS&D/Ad-Aware se personal/Spyware Blaster/AVG Antispyware.

You might want to take a look at this thread HERE. It will give you some good info on how to keep your system more secure.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back