Master Browser & TCPIP error = MRxSmb

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

This one is giving me grief!
On my network I have 2 systems (Prime & Cube)
Cube connects direct to the router. Prime (we have a geography problem!) through a 3COM switch.
If I connect Cube to the router I get this in the event viewer (see att).
There is no network traffic and attempts to find the other system show nothing and often lock up explorer.
Both systems running XP Pro SPII and up to date on updates.
Both systems run F-Secure internet security although disabling it does not make any difference.
All NICs set to get IP addresses automatically.
A WAN ping works but not on the LAN.
This only effects the LAN - access to the internet is not affected.
Reference to the MS site shows nothing and I find that MRxSmb is supposed to be a file storing network data. Searching the system for it shows it doesn't change with each reboot so maybe that isn't correct.
Anybody any ideas what is going on here?

you net looks like this?
Code:
modem--router---Cube
             +
             +-----switch---Prime
As long as Cube and the switch are both on LAN ports of the router, this is fine.
(I too have this setup).

The Master Browser event is typical and not catastrophic. Heck, everytime my
wife's Mac comes on line I see this without any ill effects.

Yup - thats the way they are cabled up.
The problem I have is that the LAN stops.
Another odd thing is that Mapped drives survive unless I shove a load of traffic across them - there is also a NAS drive to backup both systems.
I have a concern that one of the patch cables is a bit too close to a mains supply so will move it just in case there is another issue lurking.....
thanks for the input!

goofy to say the least! try disable F-Secure and enable the default Windows FW.

I'm using COMODO and have added a rule to allow all lan systems full access, eg:
allow tcp/udp in/out source=192.168.0.1-192.168.0.255 dest=192.168.0.1-192.168.0.255 all ports

I tried taking out F-Secure altogether and it made no difference.
I wonder if the 3COM switch is causing this - will try bypassing it and get back to you.

Update
I logged the wireless laptop onto the network and Lo! same thing on the laptop.
I have a message in the laptop event log saying that the 'the browser has received a server announcement indicating that the laptop is a master browser, but this computer is not a master browser'
There is nothing in the Prime event log to show anything.
I have not yet cut the 3COM out of the loop - seems as though Prime is causing this.

The switch has no functionality so unless it's dead, that's a low probability event.
Again, the Master Browser stuff should be a non-issue; it is expected and of no consequence.
Your issue of stalling the LAN is more likely to be DUPLICATE IP ADDRESSES
due to malconfigured NICs.

I checked that and all the different machines have different IP addresses - the only fixed one is a printer and that I set way up the range.
It has to be to do with PC "Prime" so will have a session with that over the weekend - weather looks cr*p anyway so might as well enjoy myself indoors and do something useful.

Found it - the problem was caused by the F-Secure Internet Security 2007 Firewall. Disabled it and no further master browser errors on any machines. Snot note sent to F-Secure Tech Desk but I dounbt I will get an answer....

This is a common event when you have multiple computers in a local workgroup and no domain; ie: ignore it.

The firewall change just alters the presence of the event, not the fact that
a browser election is occuring.

Hi - the problem was that I couldn't ignore it as it was stopping access across the network. Whatever F-Secure was doing interfered with the browser election, I guess. Anyway, it is OK now so I am going to leave it at that - one day I will try and learn a bit more about this master browser thing as I have not come across this before. Thanks for you help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back