MasterCard adds fingerprint scanner to upcoming contactless payment card

Shawn Knight

Staff member

mastercard security credit card biometrics fingerprint sensor contactless payments zwipe

One way or another, the traditional way of making payments at retail is going to change. While companies like Apple and Softcard are hoping you ditch plastic completely, others believe consumers do indeed value security and convenience but will be reluctant to give up their trusty cards.

In a move to cater to the latter audience, MasterCard and Zwipe have announced a biometric contactless payment card with a built-in fingerprint scanner.

Ordinary contactless payment systems allow a cardholder to wave their credit or debit card over a terminal to complete a transaction. This eliminates the need to enter a PIN which makes the entire process a bit more convenient but it also makes it incredibly easy for someone to steal your card and make unauthorized purchases.

mastercard security credit card biometrics fingerprint sensor contactless payments zwipe

When making a contactless payment with MasterCard’s new solution, users will simply need to hold their finger over the card’s biometric scanner when waving the card to authorize the transaction. Cardholder fingerprint data is stored directly on the card, not in an external database, so it’ll no doubt be more secure.

The card itself will be roughly the same size as a regular credit card. Power is drawn not from a battery within the card but from the payment terminal at the time it is swiped. It also features an EMV certified element.

The two companies recently completed a successful live pilot in Norway. They’re working on a revised version of the card designed to work with all payment terminals for release in 2015.

Permalink to story.

As long as it still needs another security measure such as the chip and pin, I'm up for it, but using only the biometrics is a big no, security-wise.

Could you imagine your grandma trying to use this card? Holy sh*t. Any new payment technology needs to be tested at an old folks home. If they can't use it, toss it out the window. I don't want to be standing in a line when the cashier has to explain to Betty how to put her finger over the card and touch the card to the terminal instead of swiping it.

I used to use my father's credit card. Not anymore, I guess. Come on people. Get to college or something. I hope that's what it is.

I'll never get used to something like this, I'm still getting used to bartering with seashells, salt etc. but Amazon and the like don't wanna play ball with me. :D

They inject your DC or CC info into nano chip. You either wear it or have it on your skin. You would also wear Photo ID always to ID you on anywhere. Your vehicle only has a barcode for license plate (white/black) This is the way of the future.

Back