MasterCard to release credit card with display and keypad in 2013

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Near Field Communication has been at the forefront of payment technology for a couple of years now. We’ve seen the tech ship on multiple smartphones to facilitate paying for things at places like gas stations and convenience stores. A new technology from MasterCard being unveiled in Singapore, however, could rival NFC in sheer terms of awesomeness.

The credit card company worked with Standard Chartered to launch what is essentially a credit card with a built-in display and touch-sensitive keypad. It’s described as an interactive payment card, or security token card, which uses MasterCard’s Display Card technology.

mastercard credit card keypad

The display and keypad allow cardholders to generate a one-time password that is used as an authentication security measure. MasterCard says that future revisions will be able to display things like available card balance, loyalty or reward points, recent transactions and other interactive information.

The card will become standard issue for all Standard Chartered Online Banking and Breeze Mobile Banking users starting in January 2013. They say it’ll be particularly useful for high-risk transactions like payments or transfers above a certain amount or when adding third party payees.

Furthermore, all MasterCard Super Salary, XtraSaver and Bonus$aver debit cards issued in Singapore will be converted to Display cards. The company didn’t mention if this technology would soon be introduced in other parts of the world.

Would you be more inclined to use something like this to pay for goods versus an NFC-enabled device given the potential security risks that the latter may have?

Permalink to story.

Case #1
Buyer: OMG! I forgot to bring cash!
Cashier: Don't worry, we accept any kind of credit cards, sir
Buyer: Thank God.. Here's my card

Case #2 using this new type credit card
Buyer: OMG! I forgot to bring cash!
Cashier: Don't worry, we accept any kind of credit cards, sir
Buyer: Here's my card.. ... ..Wait! I think my card is running out of battery
Cashier: ...

How is this supposed to be easier than just swiping the card, or tapping it on the thingamajoo for nfc?

Not long after Mastercard issued this card, they will issued new type credit card which you can installed apps and update your facebook status or twitter from your credit card :D

This I very interesting concept allowing someone to telesign in a transaction or payment with the OTP. I'm hoping that more companies start to offer this awesome functionality.

Will this be the same size as the standard card? I think not, because of the components necessary to give it a working keypad and display. Final size? I'd say around 3x2x1/4 (in inches).

Seems a one time password tech would be effective against, for example, the fake ATM covers that have appeared, made by 3D printing processes and used to steal card numbers and passwords. I like it. A lot would depend on how big a hassle it is to use.

Still see cards running out of power considering cards tend to spend almost all their lives inside wallets or purses and in the dark.
except when you need to take them out to use them. which is the only time you need them to work.

I dont' know...I think ring-back-fibulator or Knutz-en-valve might be more appropriate ;)
As long as you have plenty of blinker fluid or muffler bearing grease, shouldn't be an issue.

How is this supposed to be easier than just swiping the card, or tapping it on the thingamajoo for nfc?
"thingamajoo" gotta say awesome word you made there, I like it :)

Would I use it - - never. I refused a NFC enabled card some time back and requested a dumb card instead. If that can't be done, I for one will close the account (got too many anyhow!)

This seems quite soon for such fancy tech.

Also, if people can still sign for ccards, every security point is moot.

Back