Matching FSB of mobo and processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of purchasing a new motherboard for my PC. I just have a simple, possibly rhetorical question. Does the FSB of the processor have to match the FSB of the mobo? In other words I have a 1.8Ghz Celeron at 400Mhz FSB, can I get a mobo that is rated at 533/800Mhz FSB and still use the Celeron? If so, would there be an increase in speed going up to a mobo with an 800Mhz FSB?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, You need a Mobo that uses a 400 fsb. If you put that processor in a mobo that has a 533 or 800 you could damage either the processor or the mobo, maybe both.

Thanks for the advice, I've been looking at a lot of mobos lately and didn't want to fry anything when I finally choose one and get everything hooked up.

Sometimes sites list a mobo as being 533/800, when it actually is 400/533/800. Sometimes 400 fsb is left out. Check on the mfg's website for the complete specs on a mobo.

Typically they are backwards compatible with lower FSB. Just about any Athlon XP board is capable of using older durons and tbirds as well as newer cpus. The same is true for newer P4 boards and older P4s/Celerons. Consult your motherboard manual to be sure, or the manufacturers site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back