Mate is a thinner, lighter version of Tile's original Bluetooth tracker

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tile, makers of the small Bluetooth-enabled tracking hardware by the same name, has launched a smaller version of their original product. For those unfamiliar with Tile, the concept is quite simple. If you’ve got something that you happen to misplace often like your keys or simply prefer not to lose such as a wallet, you can attach or place a Tile on it. Using the companion mobile app, you can have Tile emit an audible tone (if in range) to help you find whatever it is that’s been misplaced.

For items that become truly lost or fall out of the range of Bluetooth, you can have the app notify you if another Tile user comes within range of your missing object and even show you where it was last spotted.

Conversely, if you misplace your smartphone, you can press a button on Tile which will ring your phone, even if it is on silent.

The new Tile Mate is noteworthy as it is 25 percent smaller than the hardware that made its debut in 2014. The company over the summer launched another product called Tile Slim, a thinner version of the original albeit without a pre-drilled hole for attaching to things.

I purchased a set of four Tiles in late 2014 to keep track of my camera bag, wallet, and keys while on vacation. They served their purpose well (fortunately I didn’t lose anything) although for some reason it didn’t occur to me that the Tiles were battery-powered and thus, will eventually die (after about a year).

Tile Mate is available individually for $25 or in a pack of four for $70.

Permalink to story.

I wish they would make the battery user replaceable. That would make them a lot more enticing. I've had a Tile (Guy at work was handing them out) and it does the job, just a shame you have to buy another (albeit, at a discounted rate) once it dies.

Hey, here's a good use for those Samsung batteries that can't be used. Attach it to one of your keychains so if anyone steals you keys and it's not being used to run the car, you can trigger it and burn a good sized hole in their pants and maybe even take one of the boys with it! Now THAT will cut down on GTA a bit ...... no?

I wish they would make the battery user replaceable. That would make them a lot more enticing. I've had a Tile (Guy at work was handing them out) and it does the job, just a shame you have to buy another (albeit, at a discounted rate) once it dies.

It's their business model. If it was a one and done deal, they would go under fast. Other devices that you don't have to replace the battery usually charge a service fee instead.

It's their business model. If it was a one and done deal, they would go under fast. Other devices that you don't have to replace the battery usually charge a service fee instead.
True, TrackR are Tiles competitors, they allow you to change the battery and don't charge for the service, instead, the device is more expensive.

Agreed. Heck, I would even pay extra for a battery that could be recharged wirelessly but like others have said, it doesn't really fit their business model.

Agreed. Heck, I would even pay extra for a battery that could be recharged wirelessly but like others have said, it doesn't really fit their business model.
I like the idea of wireless charging! You could have a charging mat where you normally plonk your keys when you get home and it would charge overnight. The other benefit I can see, they could use more battery to power a GPS receiver, if you lost your keys and someone who is also running the Tile app happens to pass by, it would be able to report it's exact location.

Back