Max ram per dimm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old HP Pavillion XL761. The manual states "Maximum ram: 512 MB (2 x 256 MB DIMM) "

what will happen if i put a 512MB in one DIMM and have the second DIMM empty? Anyone know if it can damage the pc in any way? I am running redhat fedora core 4. thanks

IF the specs state max is 256mb per slot then that is the Max Mem size that the MB will support on each slot

Generally it wont Boot, But I would not risk damaging the Hardware by trying this.

No, it won't damage the PC.

It could be that the motherboard doesn't support modules bigger than 256MB, but it also may be that 256MB sticks were the biggest one HP was selling when they wrote the manual.

I have seen systems where Oversize Mem Modules have caused not only the Mem module not to work anymore but also Fried Motherboards. but the norm is that Most MB's will not be affected.

No, it does not mean more voltage.

SDRAM chips bigger than 128Mbit have higher maximum current ratings, but the difference is mere 20ma between 165 and 185. Hardly something that would fry a decent circuit.

Same voltage, indeed should it stop being constant that would cause serious instability and possibly hardware damage. If you notice serious fluctuations in voltage (I'd say tenth of a Volt) it may be a hint that some component is starting to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back