maximum resolution dropped with XP upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just upgraded to WinXP and can no longer get my monitor set to 2048 x 1536 - which was my resolution in Win2K prevoiously.

The most I can do now is 1920 x 1440 - and that is only 16 bit color.

I have a 21" Sony Trinitron G500 monitor and an Nvidia Riva TNT2 (pro?) vid card. I have the newest driver installed. I've also made sure that my display settings recognize my monitor and that the right one is selected.

performance has been a little slow since the upgrade, but it's only a 700 MHz Athlon in there. I did find performance to increase significantly when I dropped hardware acceleration a notch (under: Display properties - settings - advanced - troubleshoot)

Anyone have any ideas? It seems that XP should be getting all the drivers right, but I don't know what else could be going on. Could XP require more VRAM to do the same job?

Many thanks for any help.

How high do you have your Refresh rate?, according to sony, that monitor will run at Up to 2,048 x 1,536 resolution at 75 Hz...

And as far as driver, you downloaded it from www.nvidia.com correct?

ooh, actually I had trusted XP where I shouldn't have. -- and it acted so confident too!

Got the latest driver direct from Nvidia, and the resolution is back. Curiously, the refresh rate is 60 and offers no choices unless I ask it to show me modes "that this monitor cannot display" - though it seems to display fine when I do force it to let me go to 75 Hz.
I recall 75 Hz being supported under 2K without any complaints, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for your help,
Jeko

Well glad I could help:grinthumb Oh and Welcome to Techspot!;)

BTW, always check manufacturer websites for drivers, the ones Windows XP installs are normally basic function drivers. :)

Chances are you didn't have a driver installed for your monitor last OS install. Either set "Hide modes that you cannot display" off or remove your monitor drivers and install the "Standard Plug and Play Monitor" to get 2048.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back