Maxis is exploring the possibility of adding an offline mode to SimCity

By Shawn Knight
Oct 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Maxis is exploring the possibility of adding an offline mode to SimCity more than six months after the game was first released for PC. In a recent blog post on the subject, the company said they would like to give...

Read more
  2. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 626   +122

There's your headline fixed for you, and yet publishers still can't understand why piracy is so prevalent in this day and age.
    ypsylon likes this.
  3. Lurker101

Any chance of a mod deleting this bugged doublepost?
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,859   +343

Does this mean I could have bigger maps? >_>
  5. Chazz

Chazz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 623   +56

I don't believe Sim City hit torrents until a long while after release. Months after the launch "debacle"(that everyone should be used to by now) I doubt you can play multiplayer without jumping through hoops and you have to install your own "server" to play the single player mode to mimic the online connection.

I don't think that statement is true for this game. I don't play simcity, but this is all that I've read about it so far. What benefit do pirated users get besides price?
  6. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,859   +343

It hit very, very, quickly after release.
  7. Lurker101

Offline mode, hence my comment.

Oh, and they don't have to install Origin.
    ypsylon likes this.
  8. Chazz

Chazz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 623   +56

The first sim city that I saw required both Origin(cracked of course) and a server program(not sure if it required net, didn't use). I don't see Sim City as being better pirated than Legit owned. You have to jump through hoops to play the pirated copy as well, even more.
  9. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,705   +873

I hope they dont screw up again.
  10. bmw95

bmw95 Newcomer, in training

If you haven't already, you guys should check out Cities XL. It's come a long way with the modding community on xlnation and yes, there's still performance problems here and there, but it's definitely worth it for the freedom you get. In the past years I've learned to build my own custom golf courses, highways, airports, and more, and to show you guys, here's a link to one of the best cities I've ever built.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bmw95/
    Cheers,
    Brett.
  11. ypsylon

ypsylon Newcomer, in training Posts: 41   +6

Still the best SC is SC2000. End of story. No need for internet or lastest cpu/vga on the market.

12. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,044   +37

Bought two copies of this on release. Biggest buyers remorse yet.... played it for about a month before I realized how much of a waste of money it was. Added an offline feature wont fix the game.
  13. bmw95, citiesXL is a buggy resource hog!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.