Maxis is exploring the possibility of adding an offline mode to SimCity

Shawn Knight

Staff member

simcity offline mode

Maxis is exploring the possibility of adding an offline mode to SimCity more than six months after the game was first released for PC. In a recent blog post on the subject, the company said they would like to give players the ability to play even if a connection isn’t present.

What’s more, an offline mode would give the modding community a platform to experiment on without interfering of breaking the multiplayer experience. Unfortunately, the post also said they aren’t making any promises on when they will have more information but they are aware it is something that many players have been asking for.

Earlier this year there was a lot of controversy surrounding Maxis’ decision to force users to connect to the Internet to play SimCity – even in single-player mode. The company initially said it was impossible to play offline as the title offloads a large amount of calculations to their servers but that was quickly debunked by modders.

Maxis changed their tune shortly after, noting that an offline mode would have been possible from the get-go but it simply didn’t fit with their vision of the game. It had nothing to do with an order from corporate to control players – it’s just how they wanted this version of SimCity to work.

Elsewhere, the post discusses the possibility of user generated content and the fact that Maxis will not be introducing bigger city sizes. What is coming up, however, is a new expansion called Cities of Tomorrow. As the title suggests, the expansion will allow users to transform their existing cities into future cities of tomorrow. The expansion will be available starting November 12.

Permalink to story.

Maxis is exploring the possibility of making their retail version of SimCity just as open and user friendly as pirated copies of SimCity

There's your headline fixed for you, and yet publishers still can't understand why piracy is so prevalent in this day and age.

Maxis is exploring the possibility of making their retail version of SimCity just as open and user friendly as pirated copies of SimCity

There's your headline fixed for you, and yet publishers still can't understand why piracy is so prevalent in this day and age.

I don't believe Sim City hit torrents until a long while after release. Months after the launch "debacle"(that everyone should be used to by now) I doubt you can play multiplayer without jumping through hoops and you have to install your own "server" to play the single player mode to mimic the online connection.

I don't think that statement is true for this game. I don't play simcity, but this is all that I've read about it so far. What benefit do pirated users get besides price?

The first sim city that I saw required both Origin(cracked of course) and a server program(not sure if it required net, didn't use). I don't see Sim City as being better pirated than Legit owned. You have to jump through hoops to play the pirated copy as well, even more.

If you haven't already, you guys should check out Cities XL. It's come a long way with the modding community on xlnation and yes, there's still performance problems here and there, but it's definitely worth it for the freedom you get. In the past years I've learned to build my own custom golf courses, highways, airports, and more, and to show you guys, here's a link to one of the best cities I've ever built.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bmw95/
Cheers,
Brett.

Still the best SC is SC2000. End of story. No need for internet or lastest cpu/vga on the market.

Bought two copies of this on release. Biggest buyers remorse yet.... played it for about a month before I realized how much of a waste of money it was. Added an offline feature wont fix the game.

Back