TechSpot

Maxtor 1394 External Drive

By coroner7
Dec 10, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have an older Dell 8500 Inspiron and I use the Maxtor 1394 external drive for doing backups. Here's the problem: I just bought a new Dell Inspiron 9300 and would like to transfer the files from the Maxtor to my new laptop. I plugged maxtor into the new laptop however, and it didn't find it. Help
  2. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 700

Are there other USB devices hooked up?
    Did you give it enough time to read the drive, sometimes this can take awhile.
    I would power down, remove the drive and re-boot, then plug it in and grab a coffee...if it's still not there when you return right clik My Computer select Manage and see if it shows up in Disk management.

patio. :cool:
  3. coroner7

coroner7 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

Hey, it recognized it after a while. Thanks for the help. I guess I just got impatient!
  4. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 700

No problem glad you got it solved...
    Here are 2 more things you need to do for that external HDD.
    Go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager...right clik on your USB hubs and under Power un-check "let Windows turn this device off to save power"
    This can sometimes lead to a loss of data on the external HDD and or screw up the Safely Remove this Device functions.
    This will affect your battery life somewhat but not much...
    Secondly right clik My Computer and select Manage...in Disk Management assign that external HDD a drive letter...i suggest at least 2 letters higher than your last drive on that system.
    The reason for this is instead of Windows assigning one each time which tends to confuse windows it is set and picked up immediately...plus if you add a device in the meantime it doesn't need to be changed by Windows.

patio. :cool:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.