Maxtor 250GB seen as 137

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxtor 250

Just put a Maxtor 250 GB into my mate's machine, Maxblast3 will only let me have 137GB, Windows XP will only see it as 31.4GB. I've managed to partition & format it in my own machine correctly but when I put it back in his, it F***s up again
:confused:
I've updated the Via 4in1, the bios is already updated to the latest version

I'm guessing a new MB is in order ??????

i've had that 2 with my 200Gb, windows only allowed 138Gb
do you have SP1 installed cuz that seemed to do the trick on with my 200Gb

:grinthumb The best of Luck :grinthumb
Greetz Selage

check the forums for 48bit LBA support for large harddisks. Several posts out there.

Also check the jumpers on that HD, some have a 32GB jumper, which should be removed.

You may want to give Partition Magic a try. I recently, this weekend, got a 160Gb drive and when installing it with the disk it came with it set it at 132GB because that was all it could support. It also said to be able to view the rest of it to update the bios and run Partition Magic.
I havent tried it yet though.

edit..

d'oh.... missed that you'd already tried maxblast3.... is the drive formatted to ntfs or fat32, as the latter will only let you have 32gb maximum?

i must admit i'm surprised maxblast3 doesnt recognise the whole size of the disk though, it always has for me, even when the bios and/or windows hasn't recognised teh correct size...

If you want to spend some more cash, get an ide controller card and pop it into an open pci slot. Plug the drive into that and you should be good to go. Using a controller card bypasses the motherboards limit on hard drive size. Promise (www.promise.com) and I believe maxtor even sells one.

do u have sp1? NO!!!!, get sp2, if u have no serivice pack then that is why, with SP1 it allows bigger hdd's but SP2 is better

correct me if i am wrong but if you put a hard drive controller in your pci slot isnt it like instally a really slow hard drive such as a 5400 or less??

It probably won't have the transfer rate of a new NForce motherboard but it will run at the system bus of 100 or 133mhz. Plenty fast for an older board. I've used them many times to get large hard drives on older systems when a bios update won't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back