MAXTOR 320gb IDE HDD showing at 120?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just got a new hard drive of 320gb, as it says on its sticker, when i go to install it and install windows on it, in the bios it reads as 320gb, but when i go to install windows on it is comes up as 120. ive tried wiping the hard drive and reformatting it using the windows disc, and still comes up with the same problem, ive now got it 120 but in a raw format and as a result wont install windows or evan format it. can someone help me please?

Use the MASTERBLASTER CD that comes with the drive then it will show-up as 298GB. Don't use Windows to format the drive. Now you might say what happen to 22GB. I know someone who to be to use a disk that can remove the other info on the drive to give you the full 320GB. It does a low level format. I personally haven't tried it would I recommend doing that. Anyway try the CD with the HDD you have to install it on Windows then it reboots the system. Follow the steps, you should be good from then...

Sounds like you have a windows disk prior to XP SP1 or was it SP2?

Here are your options:
Slipstream in a later service pack that supports HDs larger than 127 gigs or whatever.
Partition and format with the drive manufacturer's tools.
Create a small partition (10-100 gigs) for your Windows install. Then use Windows Update to get the latest service pack, and then create another partition through disk management so you can fully utilize your disk.

Tipstir and I have had a discussion about that friend and his program getting a full size out of the hard drive. I don't believe it at all. The drive is 320gigs based on a base 10 system meaning they say 1 gig is 1000 megabytes, but how computers report it they use 1 gig as 1024 megabytes. So getting a full 320 out of that drive isn't ever going to happen. You get a full 320 if you count the way the marketing guys do and not the way your OS does.

Well true I am still waiting on him to show me proof.. The program he uses is not available anymore. I am okay with getting 298 out 320GB MAXTOR. Only the 120GB MAXTOR gave you 114GB only using 6GB.

hey i havent got a disc with the hard drive or anything, have no way of acculy wiping it or formatting with out the windows disc, and it is a windows disc with out any updates or anything.

can i download the MASTERBLASTER CD thing or some sort of program to format the drive for me?

ok i downloaded max blast and i cant get it to work at all, so im stuck, might take it in to someplace to check it out. thanks for the help though if anyone has a more detailed way of doing it with that program, drop a message in here.

ok update, ive stuffed doing it my self, getting it done by a guy i know, so least now my dad wont get on my back about it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back