TechSpot

Maxtor D540X-4K 80GB HD not being recognized

By StriderXP
Feb 15, 2006
  1. I recently got two of these for my two of my friends. When I tried to install window xp i recieved an error message that said that the drive may need setup disk but I dont have the one that goes with it. I tried to use the Maxtor 3 that came with my current hd and Maxtor 4 but I still cant do anything. So far I have tried both master and slave options to no avail. All advice welcome.
    my specs are:

Windows XP (Professional) Service Pack 2
    1024MB RAM
    Intel D8656BF Motherboard
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2.4GHz cpu
    Radeon 9800
    CDROM ATAPI_CD-RW_52XMAXX
    LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5232K
    80GB Maxtor GY080P0

2. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 669

Jump into the system BIOS and verify that it's set to auto detect a hard drive when starting up. Also try using the drive as Cable Select setting instead of master or slave. Finally try using a different IDE or SATA cable to connect to the computer.

3. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

check bios for the drive info should list as the model and id of drive if it has a strange name
    do a look up of name may be corrupt firmware drive
    should not need a special disc to format this drive
    if auto does not work try LBA if 133mhz drive use udma mode not pio

4. StriderXP

StriderXP TS Rookie Topic Starter

The bios were set to auto and i was only able to reconize one of the two. I think the one that didnt appear may be damaged because it makes a pinging sound when starting up.
    I think I will give up on both but I would like to know how to format a western digital that has 3 OS and a seagate with none that wont allow a format with the windows xp disk. is there a way for me to format these as slaves to my working hd?

5. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 669

If you attach the drives to a working computer with Windows XP installed, you can easily format them through the Disk Management Console. (Start menu -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc <Press Enter>)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.