Maxtor D540X-4K 80GB HD not being recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got two of these for my two of my friends. When I tried to install window xp i recieved an error message that said that the drive may need setup disk but I dont have the one that goes with it. I tried to use the Maxtor 3 that came with my current hd and Maxtor 4 but I still cant do anything. So far I have tried both master and slave options to no avail. All advice welcome.
my specs are:

Windows XP (Professional) Service Pack 2
1024MB RAM
Intel D8656BF Motherboard
Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2.4GHz cpu
Radeon 9800
CDROM ATAPI_CD-RW_52XMAXX
LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5232K
80GB Maxtor GY080P0

Jump into the system BIOS and verify that it's set to auto detect a hard drive when starting up. Also try using the drive as Cable Select setting instead of master or slave. Finally try using a different IDE or SATA cable to connect to the computer.

check bios for the drive info should list as the model and id of drive if it has a strange name
do a look up of name may be corrupt firmware drive
should not need a special disc to format this drive
if auto does not work try LBA if 133mhz drive use udma mode not pio

The bios were set to auto and i was only able to reconize one of the two. I think the one that didnt appear may be damaged because it makes a pinging sound when starting up.
I think I will give up on both but I would like to know how to format a western digital that has 3 OS and a seagate with none that wont allow a format with the windows xp disk. is there a way for me to format these as slaves to my working hd?

If you attach the drives to a working computer with Windows XP installed, you can easily format them through the Disk Management Console. (Start menu -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc <Press Enter>)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back